Do you believe in pushing creative boundaries to set the quality bar within the industry?
Want to be the torchbearer of the artistic vision for the team?
If so, our Concept Artist role in our Age of Empires IV team might be the perfect fit for you!
Relic Entertainment, a wholly owned studio of SEGA, is the award-winning RTS developer of Homeworld, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, (and now!) Age of Empires IV and we’re on the hunt for a permanent full- time Concept Artist to work in our Vancouver studio. As a studio, our role is to create a workplace where people are energized and empowered to not only do their best work but to continually surpass their best. We’ll push you out of your comfort zone to become the best version of you by giving you the ownership and creative freedom to solve our most challenging problems.
As an integral part of our studio, you will provide the team with inspirational illustrations as well as production quality artwork focusing on environment design. It’s essential that you are able to contribute a strong creative aesthetic that enhances the overall player experience.
As a Concept Artist, you will …
- Illustrate concepts based on verbal and written direction
- Able to explore and refine ideas based on partial and/or full reference
- Articulate the game design in a way that fits with the art direction
- Work with the Art Director to provide vision and direction
- Able to improvise within an established art and/or brand direction
- Produce orthographic illustrations for outsourcing
- Must be comfortable producing production art
- Be the torchbearer of the artistic vision for the team
- Be familiar with visual and cultural trends in game development
We’re looking for someone who has…
- At least 1 shipped AAA PC/Console title to their name
- A degree or certificate in Illustration, Painting, Industrial Design or Film Design is preferred
- 5+ years experience in a Concept art role
- Comfortable working with a broad variety of styles and genres
- A stunning portfolio that demonstrates a variety of concept design and illustration with a focus on environments, strong colour, and lighting skills
- Experience working in 3D package
- Excellent communication and team skills
- Self-motivated, self-critical, savvy with a strong work ethic
It’s a bonus if you have…
- Experience developing for RTS genre
- No hard copies please, must submit via portolfio link.
- Provide at least one example that demonstrates your process. Including research, thumbnails and colour studies
What’s in it for you?
You will become part of the SEGA family (includes Creative Assembly, Sports Interactive, Hardlight Studio, and Amplitude Studios) which means you’ll have an opportunity to work on AAA games and learn a ton. We also offer top-notch benefits and perks, including an extensive extended health benefits plan, retirement savings plan, and support for any required relocation or immigration efforts. On top of that, we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games so we offer competitive total compensation packages.
Please apply through this portal - you'll find the application below! Make sure to tell us a bit about yourself, provide your portfolio details and let us know why YOU would be a great fit for our team!
Regrettably, we are unable to interview all applicants. Please be patient while we review every application. We will get in touch with the applicants that best fit what we’re looking for, so please make sure you tell us about yourself and how you would like to contribute to our team.
Note: We are currently only able to accept applications from individuals who are legally qualified to work in Canada.
Have you heard? We’re making Age of Empires IV!
Check out the trailer here and follow along on social: