Relay Therapeutics seeks a dynamic, highly skilled Senior Director, Head of Translational Medicine to lead a cutting-edge Translational Medicine team to advance our industry-leading precision medicine pipeline. Reporting to the Head of Clinical Development, the Head of Translational Medicine will drive all aspects of the translational strategy and will be accountable for delivering key translational milestones from pre-IND to NDA, including importantly, companion diagnostic (CDx) development for precision therapies. The successful candidate will have expertise in precision oncology/rare diseases and be adept at leading cross-functional teams and leveraging novel molecular approaches to advance small molecule therapeutics.
- Accountable for the integrated translational medicine strategy for Relay’s precision medicine portfolio from IND to POC to NDA, including CDx development
- Lead TM strategy in cross functional research/clinical teams to devise and advance scientific/medical strategies for key translational milestones across the portfolio including patient selection criteria, support enrollment of specific genomic populations, demonstration of target engagement and proof of mechanism and support dose optimization
- Lead, manage and oversee a translational medicine scientist and TM operations lead
- Define and implement translational objectives and endpoints for precision medicine clinical study protocols to achieve rapid proof of concept and clear path to registration in molecularly defined patient populations.
- Direct and oversee outsourcing and validation of clinical biomarker assays.
- Oversee the design of data collection and data mining systems.
- Lead the interpretation of data and their presentation in clinical study reports and publications; accountable for the design and execution of exploratory studies in Translational Medicine.
- Drive publication/presentation of Translational Medicine data in high impact medical/scientific journals and high-profile medical meetings.
- Provide key contribution to IND, NDA, PMA submissions via authoring/reviewing relevant sections and generating responses.
- Build successful internal and external links and collaborations, including with contract research organizations, academia and nonprofit organizations, and the ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans and recommendations will be key to success.
- PhD or MD and at least 12+ years of broad bio/pharmaceutical industry experience in drug development, with at least 8+ years of direct experience in translational medicine.
- Successful track record with PMA submissions and CDx approvals in tissue and/or blood-based patient selection markers
- Deep knowledge and understanding of oncology and genetic diseases, including companion diagnostics; precision oncology drug development paradigms and technical, business, and regulatory approaches.
- You are passionate about translational medicine and well connected to external experts and highly credible advisors. You have talent and ability in forging and nurturing key partnerships and collaborations with the external scientific community, including academia, governmental organizations, nonprofit organizations and CROs Preferred Qualifications
- You are a highly motivated, decisive, and results-oriented individual who is proactive, resourceful, and efficient with the flexibility and creativity to excel in and contribute to a rapidly growing precision medicine company in a highly matrixed environment
- Diplomacy and professionalism with excellent stakeholder management skills and with the ability to contribute to the corporate goals of becoming a leader in oncology and/or genetic disease disorders and bringing medicines to patients.
- Able to work across functions and levels, build relationships and influence decision-making, while managing to tight timelines. Capable of highly independent work as well as being a team player and role model. Proven ability to manage multiple projects, and efficiently identify and resolve issues.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, allowing for an open and effective dialogue throughout the organization.
- Ability to influence without authority, lead change and manage resistance to change. Must be able to solicit information, persuade others and shape outcomes.
- A strong work ethic, excellent problem-solving ability, and attention to detail and quality are critical to success.
About Relay Therapeutics
Relay Therapeutics is a clinical-stage precision medicines company transforming the drug discovery process with the goal of bringing life-changing therapies to patients. Built on unparalleled insights into protein motion and how this dynamic behavior relates to protein function, we aim to effectively drug protein targets that have previously been intractable, with an initial focus on enhancing small molecule therapeutic discovery in targeted oncology. Our Dynamo platform integrates an array of leading-edge experimental and computational approaches to provide a differentiated understanding of protein structure and motion to drug these targets. We have built a world-class team of leading experts from each of these disciplines, and they are driven by a deep collaboration at every step of our drug discovery process.
Our team is equal parts fearless and relentless, with a shared passion for working collaboratively in intellectually stimulating environments. If you’re excited by the challenge of putting protein motion at the heart of drug discovery and passionate about making a difference in the lives of patients, join us!