Relay Therapeutics was founded on the premise that protein motion can be leveraged to create breakthrough medicines, with a drug discovery engine that was built on advances in detecting and characterizing dynamic interactions - anywhere on a protein – not just at the active site. Our team is putting this principle into practice, with the aim of accelerating the development of medicines that will make a transformative difference in patients’ lives. The amazing scientists behind our R&D engine work in a state-of-the-art lab and we need someone like you to help us manage it and foster success for our team.
We are looking for a Senior Lab Operations Manager to report to our Director of Lab Operations & Facilities. This person will be a critical member of our operations team, overing seeing the day-to-day in the lab, managing two members of our team and contributing to strategy and planning.
- You will oversee the day-to-day workings of the lab, playing an essential role in the team’s efforts to advance safety and health by ensuring the lab is a safe and welcoming environment and implementing systems to increase efficiencies in time, labor, and cost
- You will serve as the lab’s Environmental Safety Officer and its Lab Operations Representative. Oversee lab safety and regulatory compliance (including educating and training lab members), and coordinate with EHS and facilities as needed to ensure the lab environment is safe
- You will maintain lab safety standards by frequent education, refreshers, and walk throughs, working closely with partnered safety consultants
- You will work closely with the senior lab staff to address issues in the lab as they arise, develop solutions to open challenges, and guide the overall direction of lab operations
- You will interface regularly with other departments including the Front Office, Procurement, AP, Legal, Shipping and Receiving and Facilities
- Communicate with all team members regarding logistical and administrative issues in the lab
- Identify inefficiencies or opportunities for process improvement in the lab environment and cost savings
- Maintain and improve upon processes within the lab to increase efficiency including lab consumables management, chemical management, reagents management, and protocols for equipment
- Maintenance coordination and tracking of all lab equipment (calibrations, preventative maintenance, repairs and replacements, service contracts, new equipment purchases, space optimization)
- Execute business continuity planning in the form of emergency protocols and procedures
- Orient new scientists to the lab space and various lab processes
- Implementation of environmental sustainability best practices
- Create and manage standing purchase orders for centralized lab consumables and reagents
- Assist with strategy for space planning and maximizing efficiency as Relay grows
- Conduct regular lab and office space cleanouts
- B.S./M.S. in chemistry, biology, or a related discipline
- 5-7 years of relevant laboratory experience
- Previous lab management experience required
- Previous experience managing builds or lab reconfigurations required
- Biotech/pharmaceutical industry background highly preferred
- Previous experience leading a team
- You possess a strong problem-solving attitude, willingness to build repeatable processes, and an adaptable mindset
- You are customer driven and focused and have a desire to establish processes so that researchers can focus on research
- You know how to build key relationships and can interface with external vendors, landlords, and collaborators seamlessly – we want people to want to work with us
- You have excellent communication skills – the people that need-to-know operational happenings are always in the loop, and you know the best ways to communicate the information out to them proactively. You are savvy at communicating with all personality types at all levels of an organization
- You are highly skilled at multi-tasking while also being incredibly organized
- You are a dedicated team player who can also work independently in a fast-paced organization
- You pride yourself on being the go-to person for all things lab-related – people know you’ll have the answers or will kindly point them in the right direction
About Relay Therapeutics
Relay Therapeutics is a clinical-stage precision medicines company transforming the drug discovery process with the goal of bringing life-changing therapies to patients. Built on unparalleled insights into protein motion and how this dynamic behavior relates to protein function, we aim to effectively drug protein targets that have previously been intractable, with an initial focus on enhancing small molecule therapeutic discovery in targeted oncology. Our Dynamo platform integrates an array of leading-edge experimental and computational approaches to provide a differentiated understanding of protein structure and motion to drug these targets. We have built a world-class team of leading experts from each of these disciplines, and they are driven by a deep collaboration at every step of our drug discovery process.
Our team is equal parts fearless and relentless, with a shared passion for working collaboratively in intellectually stimulating environments. If you’re excited by the challenge of putting protein motion at the heart of drug discovery and passionate about making a difference in the lives of patients, join us!