Senior Software Engineer - Platform Engineering
As a software engineer on the Platforms team at Relay, you’ll be responsible for improving the development speed and work quality of our Product, Engineering, and Design department. You'll devise processes and set up frameworks to allow product engineers to get changes into the hands of customers faster without sacrificing the stability of the system as a whole. You will support SREs in helping to automatically detect and mitigate system risk. You will help Product Managers run and measure experiments within Relay's products.
As part of the onboarding process, we will ask that you spend a couple of sprints on one of Relay's product engineering teams in order to get first hand experience with our technology and process. We believe that this will allow you to more fully understand the challenges being experienced and the problems that need to be solved within Relay’s PED organization.
About Relay Payments
Relay Payments is a venture-backed startup, building a contactless payment network in the transportation and logistics industry. We’re working hard to ensure America continues running during COVID-19, and well beyond. Our mission drives everything we do! The transportation and logistics industry has continued to run on cash and industry-specific checks (similar to cashiers checks) since the 1970s. Relay Payments is spearheading the modernization of payments, pushing the industry into the 21st century. We work with the largest Carriers, Freight Brokers, and 3PLs in the United States who care about their drivers to ensure that their products get to shelves quickly for consumer consumption.
We’re looking for ambitious team members who share our values and are ready to think bigger!
Our Core Values
- Invent the Future - We embrace the spirit of invention, the idea that there’s always a better way. Together we dream big, fail fast, drive forward, and find creative solutions where others see roadblocks. We prize grit, resilience and speed as we work to transform our industry and to move it into the future.
- Own the Work - Our work is a source of personal pride and fulfillment. We’re here because we relish a challenge and enjoy the exercise of proactively identifying and solving problems. We understand the power of accountability and are in constant pursuit of “more and better” for our customers, our partners and ourselves.
- We’re in it Together - We’re all in, committed to, and driven by our shared ambition and vision; we understand that alignment and collaboration are imperative. We set aside our ego to actively sync with one another, becoming greater than the sum of our parts. We are consistently open and generous with information, clear, concise and direct in our communication.
What Makes You a Great Fit
- 7+ years of software engineering experience.
- Detail-oriented systems thinker who can work well independently or with others on a team.
- Ability to maintain flexibility and weigh business and technical priorities.
- Experience in driving consensus and introducing organization-wide technical changes.
- Experience architecting solutions in a thoughtful way - limiting the number of technologies, justifying decisions, and articulating tradeoffs.
- Good written and oral communication skills to help educate others in the organization about changing processes and frameworks.
- A solid understanding of software testing strategies.
Systems and Frameworks
As part of this role, you will be working with several systems and frameworks at Relay. While it is not necessary to have experience in all of these areas, we are looking for engineers who have deep experience in at least one and familiarity with the rest:
- React and Redux
- Dependency Injection and Inversion of Control (IoC)
- Testing Frameworks (e.g. Postman, Jest, Enzyme)
- CI/CD (e.g. Jenkins, Github pipelines, CircleCI)
- Logging and APM Systems (e.g. Datadog, Cloudwatch)
- Infrastructure as a Service (e.g. AWS, Terrraform)
About Our Team
- We work in small, cross-functional teams that include product managers, designers, and QA.
- We value continuous learning in our everyday work.
- We rely heavily on automated testing and CI.
- We use agile development and lean startup principles and practices to deliver products.
- Our stack: GoLang, PostgreSQL, Docker, AWS, React, React Native, git.
Why Relay Payments
- This is a game-changing chance to join a well-funded, explosively growing start-up at the “ground floor”.
- We are generously sharing equity in the company - everyone’s an owner!
- We’ve taken the time to crack the code on what traits/characteristics are setting team members up to be wildly successful in our environment - and we’re committed to SHARING the formula and playbook!
- We treat you like an adult with our “Unlimited/Be Reasonable” PTO policy.
- We offer competitive benefits including robust medical insurance and a 401k.
- This is an amazing opportunity to be part of our entrepreneurial, people-first, high-performance culture!
- And lots, lots more!
Relay Payments is an equal opportunity employer. At Relay Payments, we make all employment decisions, which include hiring, promoting, transferring, demoting, evaluating, compensating and separating, without regard to sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, color, religion, age, national origin, pregnancy, citizenship, disability, service in the uniform services, or any other classification protected by federal, state or local law.