Please note: nXu and Relay Lab Schools are separate non-profit organizations working together to support young people in San Antonio, Texas!
nXu (www.nxueducation.org) is non-profit program whose mission is to catalyze a diverse community of youth to explore, articulate, and pursue their purpose. nXu believes that a sense of purpose acts as an inner compass that—when combined with skills training and community support—allows young people to live in alignment with their highest potential. As an emerging youth-driven network, nXu brings together racially and socioeconomically diverse cohorts of high schoolers from different school types for unconventional, immersive, city-based purpose explorations fueled by a volunteer team of coaches. nXu participants take advantage of their home city—from parks and museums to companies and nonprofits—as a foundational resource to build their community, know themselves, expand their perspective, take initiative, and, most importantly, develop a sense of purpose.
OVERVIEW OF ROLE
nXu is seeking an exceptional Facilitator to serve as an associate facilitator for nXu's San Antonio Fellowship Program for the second half of the 2018-19 school year with the possibility of the role expanding into the 2019-20 school year. The nXu Fellowship is a selective, 2-year, out-of-school program that brings together 32 of San Antonio's most promising 10th graders. nXu Fellows gather twice a month on Sundays from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. during which volunteer Compass Coaches guide their students through a series of immersive activities, games, conversations, and reflections to help students develop an understanding of their purpose in life.
The ideal Facilitator will not only possess excellent facilitation skills but will also exhibit leadership and enthusiasm that inspires fellows, parents, volunteers, and other members of the San Antonio community to invest in our mission. Logistically, s/he will need to be available to facilitate nXu programming on some or all of the following Sundays: 1/27, 2/3, 2/10, 3/3, 3/24, 4/7, 4/14, 5/5, 5/19, 6/1 & 6/2 (Saturday & Sunday). The Facilitator will receive coaching and support from nXu’s Compass Director (i.e. lead facilitator).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Program Facilitation & Implementation: Facilitate pre-scripted curriculum, implement the centrally developed nXu program, and support volunteers to ensure high-quality experiences for nXu Fellows and volunteers.
- Student Management: Ensure nXu participants are fully engaged and support them as they navigate their nXu experience during each session.
- Program Improvement: Provide feedback on the curriculum and fellowship to ensure nXu improves its programming over time.
- Program Representation: Serve as a positive representative of nXu within the San Antonio community.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
Candidates for this position must possess the following qualifications:
- Exceptional facilitation, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Ability to exhibit high energy and to motivate and inspire youth and adults.
- Experience working with and supporting and guiding a diverse array of both youth and adults.
- Belief in nXu’s mission and a passion for helping other people--especially teenagers--explore, articulate and pursue their purpose in life.
- Concrete evidence of keen interest in, and exploration of, his or her self-development.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and an ability to take initiative to deliver a meaningful experience to fellows, volunteers, and stakeholders.
- Ability to receive and implement feedback and coaching.
- Comfort in working with a remote team, often independently.
- At least three years of experience in working with high school aged youth; teaching experience strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Current authorization to work in the United States secured by the first day of employment.
nXu offers competitive compensation for this consulting role.
nXu provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.