About Together Education
Together Education (formerly UKA Ventures) is a non‐profit incubator that helps entrepreneurs launch high‐impact, scalable educational initiatives that support all students in accessing a high‐quality education and attaining a choice‐filled life. We provide start-up and ongoing strategic and operational support to this interconnected ecosystem of education organizations, allowing them to learn faster and have greater impact together.
We currently support four main programs: Cooperman College Scholars, a college access and success organization that provides scholarships for high‐potential, underrepresented students, and develops partnerships with colleges and universities to support their success; nXu, an innovative program working with diverse groups of high school students to help them articulate and pursue their life purpose; 1World, an international program that trains and supports school leaders around the world to establish and sustain transformational outcomes for their students; and Relay Lab Schools, a new organization partnering with public school districts to turn around their lowest‐performing schools. We have previously developed and launched Relay Graduate School of Education and Zearn.
The TE finance team provides finance, HR, and operations services to all of our programs. Our job is to keep everything running smoothly behind the scenes so our colleagues can focus on delivering amazing programs. In addition to paying our bills on time, keeping track of how much we’re spending and how much we’ve got in the bank, and being helpful and responsive resources to our teammates, we always find ways to learn in our roles and improve how we do our work. We’re looking for entrepreneurial finance and operations experts (or enthusiasts looking to become experts) dedicated to supporting a variety of education-focused programs who are excited to join a small, scrappy team.
The Team and the Role
Reporting to TE’s Senior Advisor, the Director of Finance will develop, implement and continuously improve financial reporting, operations and accounting for all TE programs and the organization as a whole, including budgeting, financial reporting, audits, and critical support for key fundraising efforts; manage members of the Finance team to provide support for and perform these functions; collaborate on key HR systems and processes that impact the employee experience at TE; and take on other related duties as required and assigned – we are a start-up supporting start-ups, so new projects will always come up!
The ideal candidate for this role will be comfortable with both big picture thinking/planning and detail-oriented “sweating the small stuff.” S/he may be reviewing expense coding and signing off on Accounts Payable one minute and then partnering with a colleague on a program team to build and roll out a revenue tracking dashboard the next. Rather than relishing doing one type of work and reluctantly doing the other just because it has to get done, the ideal candidate will appreciate that doing all the myriad responsibilities well yields a stronger and more efficient overall system and will roll up her/his sleeves when needed. S/he will also be curious, learn quickly, and, critically, be open to admitting when we don’t know the answer and have to do more research to find one. Approximately two-thirds of the job will be focused on keeping the finance operation running smoothly and the rest of the time will be spent on one-off projects.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Financial reporting, operations and accounting
- Manage and continually improve financial reporting process across the organization
- Manage the annual audit process, ensuring a clean and seamless audit
- Support annual budgeting for key TE programs and maintain updated budget/cash flow projections by working closely with program directors
- Support fundraising efforts by producing and monitoring grant budgets and reports
- Manage regulatory reporting, including tax reporting and quarterly reporting as required
- Maintain sound fiscal policies and continuously improve financial operations and controls
- Ensure that all finance and personnel documentation is organized and secure at all times
- Team management
- Manage junior accounting staff in implementing above functions as needed, including all bookkeeping processes, including payroll, A/P, A/R, reconciliations, and monthly closing
- Continuously monitor and improve how team members are staffed to meet program needs, and propose and implement resource reallocations as needed
- Finance operations and special projects
- Lead efforts to research and implement new financial operations systems as needed, and act as finance lead with colleagues to implement other operations systems as needed
- Manage financial operations for TX-based partner nonprofit organization
- Collaborate with colleagues to improve financial operations and ensure a seamless, high level of service for colleagues
- Talent / benefits / HR management
- Coordinate with Director of Operations to ensure smooth onboarding of new staff into payroll and internal HR systems
- Manage retirement benefits with colleagues and outside retirement plan administrator
- Other related duties as needed to support our programs and organization
- Master’s degree, preferably an MBA or masters in accounting, finance or related field
- At least five years of professional experience with three years in a finance-related position, start-up experience preferred, direct management experience a plus
- Deep understanding of basic accounting principles with knowledge of nonprofit accounting
- Fluency in MS Office; specifically, expertise in Excel and proficiency in Word and PowerPoint
- Strong problem-solving and analytic skills
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Excellent project management and systems-building skills
- Consistent accuracy in all tasks large and small, with enthusiastic attention to detail
- Ability to work efficiently, intensely, and juggle multiple priorities within an entrepreneurial environment where meeting deadlines is expected and comfort with ambiguity is essential
- Commitment to closing the education achievement and opportunity gap
Together Education offers a competitive salary and benefits package for full-time employees.
Together Education provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees