Relay Lab Schools Texas seeks highly motivated, mission-oriented, reflective teachers to serve as Elementary School Lead Teachers. Lead teachers at Relay Lab Schools Texas thrive in an innovative, urgent, and unique environment. We seek teachers who are committed to continuously improving curriculum and instruction, who are hungry for feedback, and who are always looking for ways to more effectively reach and inspire our students everyday in the classroom. Lead teachers are leaders in our schools, as well: they coach and support at least one teaching resident throughout the year and will help us refine and improve our instructional systems and approach.
Lead teachers at Relay Lab Schools Texas hold responsibility for the implementation of the school’s curriculum and the success of all its students. There is one elementary school lead teacher in each classroom. Our teachers also work closely with a teaching resident (a teacher-in-training) to deliver instruction every day. While the lead teacher is the teacher of record for the classroom, both the lead teacher and the teaching resident, with the help of a number of ESL Support Teachers, are responsible for teaching English Language Arts (Reading, Writing, Social Studies), Mathematics, and Science throughout the day. Relay Lab Schools Texas’ elementary school ELA curricula are Wit & Wisdom, Reading Mastery, and Amplify Reading; the Mathematics curriculum is Zearn; and the Science curriculum is Amplify Science.
The Relay Lab School Texas school day is longer than the traditional school day, with breakfast starting at 7:30 AM and classes running through 4:00 PM. Students dismiss early each Friday, allowing for teachers to engage in professional development for at least three hours each week. Friday afternoons are set aside for staff development, including planning, data analysis, grade-level team meetings, and PLCs. Each week ends with a staff meeting run by the Principal and the Leadership Team.
Digital learning tools loaded onto each student’s Chromebook allow for elementary school lead teachers and teaching residents to split classrooms into small groups for instruction. Teachers are in front of small groups of 15 students throughout much of the day. Rather than replacing the teacher, our digital tools empower and enable our teachers to create the smallest groups of students possible in each classroom for individualized, personal instruction. Teachers will be able to meet their students exactly where they are and push them to high achievement in every academic subject, the kind of academic excellence that will result in students eventually passing Advanced Placement classes and exams by the time they graduate high school.
The elementary school team also includes the Principal, an Assistant Principal for the Elementary School, a Principal Fellow for the Elementary School, ESL Support Teachers, Art Teachers, Fitness Teachers, Social Workers, and Special Education Teachers.
Our students, staff members, and families will exhibit an unstoppable level of shared commitment, joy, and drive—consistently celebrating each other, affirming the school’s values, and inspiring each other to push on in pursuit of their dreams. Every day starts with a Community Circle, celebrating the successes of our school communities and facing down our collective challenges.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
The Elementary School Lead Teachers at Relay Lab Schools Texas step into a one-of-a-kind school environment, where constant improvement and giving and receiving regular feedback is the norm. Lead teachers are stretched in new and invigorating ways, taking their teaching to new levels AND supporting, coaching, and developing other teachers in the community. In addition to this path-breaking work, lead teachers:
- Teach well-planned, well organized, exhilarating lessons to our students every single day!
- Implement the Relay Lab Schools Texas curricula and activities to meet academic standards.
- Coach, support, and develop at least one teaching resident learning to teach in each lead teacher’s classroom.
- Administer interim and ongoing assessments that measure our students’ progress towards academic standards.
- Use student assessment data to inform and evolve instructional practices.
- Participate in collaborative grade-level activities and school-wide functions.
- Provide consistent rewards and/or consequences for student behavior.
- Are accountable for students’ mastery of all academic standards.
- Communicate effectively with students, their families, and all Relay Lab Schools Texas’ colleagues.
- Spend most of the school day with students in classes, transitions, and all mealtimes, leveraging relationships in and outside the classroom to push student achievement.
- Participate in an annual three-week staff orientation and training starting three weeks prior to the beginning of the contract year.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
First and foremost, the Elementary School Lead Teachers must share our sense of urgency about the need to improve student achievement in low-income communities everywhere, and a belief that excellent outcomes for our students can be achieved in an autonomous school context.
Additionally, lead teachers must have the following:
- Drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of the classroom.
- A proven track-record of high achievement in the classroom.
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for academic subjects.
- Evidence of self-motivation and willingness to be a team player.
- Evidence of success in achieving high levels of student growth in the grade/subject for which the teacher is applying.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university.
- A valid Texas Teaching Certificate with required endorsements for subject and level assigned.
- Satisfactory outcome of fingerprinting background check. Non-refundable fee (approximately $50) is to be paid by the candidate.
Lead teachers are employees of SAISD. In addition to the traditional base salary determined by SAISD, they receive a stipend for the extended school day and a stipend for the three additional weeks of school-specific summer professional development. Aside from working in small learning communities with students throughout the school day and an extensive professional development program each week, all Relay Lab Schools Texas teachers are equipped with a laptop computer, district email accounts, high-speed internet access, and all necessary instructional supplies.