At Relativity Space, we have two audacious goals: to build the next great commercial launch company with Terran R and to become America's leading force in additive manufacturing innovation. Both contribute to our long-term vision of creating humanity’s industrial base on Mars, paving the way for interplanetary life to expand the possibilities of the human experience. This journey begins right here on Earth – where we design, build, and fly rockets to deliver customer payloads to orbit. Terran R, our medium-to-heavy lift reusable rocket, fulfills the growing demand for launch capacity, thanks to our iterative approach that accelerates design, testing, and development while minimizing costs. While our groundbreaking research and development in 3D printing pushes the boundaries of large-scale additive manufacturing.
Your journey with us is more than just a job – it’s an opportunity to shape the future of aerospace technology, additive manufacturing, and the human experience alongside a community of passionate, creative individuals. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
The Factory Test team is responsible for all hazardous testing in our Long Beach facilities. We use our breadth of experience and collaborative engineering approach to support everything from very large structural tests to precise valve actuation. To that end, we design, build, and operate all test assets from initial concept to test execution. If you enjoy working on a multi-disciplinary team with a broad mandate and want to put hands on hardware, then this is the team for you.
What you’ll do:
As a Fluids Engineer, you will design, analyze, and build fluids distribution and process piping systems serving the Terran R structural test stands at our facility in Long Beach, CA. Teamwork and communication skills are critical, as you will work cross-functionally with other engineering groups on the Factory Test team.
Examples of your tasks may include:
- Gathering piping operating conditions from process engineers
- Designing piping networks and manifolds as required to meet the design intent of P&IDs, process descriptions, etc.
- Analyzing piping system stresses using hand calculations and simulation software
- Specifying pipe schedules, sizes, materials, interconnections
- Designing & specifying pipe supports, and supplying load requirements to civil & structural engineers
- Creating engineering drawings and work orders
- Developing budgets and schedules
- Managing fabrication activities performed by our internal shop or by contractors
- Presenting design reviews of your work
What you need to know:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar.
- 5+ years of experience designing, building, and commissioning complex fluid systems.
- Knowledge of fluid and mechanical first principles
- Demonstrated experience designing systems to engineering requirements
- Demonstrated working knowledge of piping system design for flow and pressure
- Ability to concisely communicate technical topics to audiences of many different backgrounds
- Delivery of systems compliant with ASME B31.3 or BPVC
Nice to have but not required:
- Familiarity with cryogenics
- Understanding of incompressible & compressible flow fundamentals
- Willing to work at heights, in confined spaces, in a dirty environment, and away from your desk
- No previous aerospace experience is required for this position
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace