A rocket company at the core, Relativity Space is on a mission to become the next great commercial launch company. Meeting the needs of a growing demand for space infrastructure, our rockets will revolutionize how we connect and communicate on Earth by getting satellites to space. We have developed a vertically integrated technology platform in which we leverage additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to 3D print rockets. Our unique approach enables rapid product iteration, allowing us to push the boundaries of what's possible today and unlock the full potential of 3D printing for tomorrow. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
The Weld Development team at Relativity Space is responsible for all post-additive welding operations. Our mission is to ensure the proper processes are developed, sustainable tools are built, and designs are created that support the manufacturing of the next generation of 3D printed rockets – Terran R through implementing creative solutions to previously unsolved challenges and challenging the status-quo on the stale evolution of traditional rocket manufacturing.
What you’ll do:
In this role, you will support the production of the launch vehicle’s primary structure and propulsion components through various weld process developments. You will work closely with design and manufacturing engineers to ensure welding processes are efficient and robust. We are expecting the Welding Engineer to develop a deep understanding of all supported processes and follow these processes from development to production.
What you need to know:
- B.S. in Welding Engineering, Welding Technology, or Engineering degree with relevant experience
- Hands-on experience with Orbital Tube Welding
- Experience developing GTAW automated or semi-automated weld schedules
- Experience designing complex weld joints
- Experience supporting aluminum weldments
- Ability to create WPS and PQRs
- Knowledge of industry standards (AWS D17.1, D1.1, etc)
- Cross functional knowledge of fabrication and metal working methods such as cutting, grinding, and bending
- Strong knowledge of tooling and fixturing for welded structures
- Excellent trouble shooting and problem-solving skills
- Strong ability to multi-task and balance priorities based off input from multiple departments
Nice to haves but not required:
- Experience with FSW, GMAW, and RSW
- Experience welding additively manufactured base materials
- Familiarity with additive technologies such as WAAM and LP-DED
- Familiarity with robotic welding applications
- Experience building and executing complex designs of experiments
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace