At Relativity Space, we have two audacious goals: to build the next great commercial launch company with Terran R and to become America's leading force in additive manufacturing innovation. Both contribute to our long-term vision of creating humanity’s industrial base on Mars, paving the way for interplanetary life to expand the possibilities of the human experience. This journey begins right here on Earth – where we design, build, and fly rockets to deliver customer payloads to orbit. Terran R, our medium-to-heavy lift reusable rocket, fulfills the growing demand for launch capacity, thanks to our iterative approach that accelerates design, testing, and development while minimizing costs. While our groundbreaking research and development in 3D printing pushes the boundaries of large-scale additive manufacturing.
Your journey with us is more than just a job – it’s an opportunity to shape the future of aerospace technology, additive manufacturing, and the human experience alongside a community of passionate, creative individuals. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
Relativity seeks a highly talented Ground Software Engineer to join a rapidly growing space startup. This position will provide assistance in the design of Terran R test operations infrastructure, as well as helping build world-class test and launch facilities.
At Relativity, we are redefining the way rockets are designed, built and flown. Starting with our proprietary and cutting-edge 3D printing technology, we aim to simplify and automate the manufacturing of rockets. This revolutionary approach enables us to make launch vehicles faster and more cost efficiently, allowing us to offer cost-efficient and short lead-time launch services to customers.
What you’ll do:
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
As a Ground Software Engineer, you will have a major role in the development, build-up, activation, and operation of ground systems software to support our test and launch facilities.
- Design and develop ground software used for Terran R vehicle testing, integration and launch. This includes the full spectrum of software, from near-real time data acquisition and control software to user-facing GUI’s and tools.
- Actively work with the operations team that uses your software daily to support integration, test, and launch operations.
- Take part in the complete software lifecycle including design, integration, testing, deployment, debugging, and finding novel solutions to late-breaking changes or issues.
- Work onsite in a fast-paced, challenging environment
- Work in a software stack consisting of C++, TypeScript, some Rust, some Java, and some Python code, running primarily in Linux environments.
What you need to know:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a related Engineering field (Electrical, Computer, Software, Aerospace) or Computer Science
- 5+ years of experience coding in C++
- Experience developing user-facing software applications related to networking, hardware control and data acquisition
- Expertise in program design, best practices, and proficient memory management
- Basic experience developing software for systems that span multiple technologies/platforms
- Experience using software version control tools (such as GIT)
- Experience with hermetic build tools (such as Bazel)
Nice to haves but not required:
- Experience building and maintaining distributed control and acquisition systems
- Experience with various industrial communication protocols, such as CANbus, LXI, or Modbus
- Experience developing software for low-latency, reliable distributed networks with pub-sub type middleware such as DDS
- Experience creating backend architecture to support large amounts of high-rate data
- Experience with web frontends using React using modern UX design standards
- Experience supporting fast pace and rapidly changing operational environments
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace