We invented a new approach to design, build, and fly our own rockets, starting with Terran 1 – the world’s first entirely 3D printed rocket and Terran R our reusable next generation 3D printed rocket.
Using our vertically integrated technology platform, leveraging additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to deliver superiority over traditional aerospace manufacturing methods, we’re disrupting 60 years of aerospace with our novelty approach to get to space, Mars, and beyond faster, more cost-effective, and more reliable.
We believe in a future where interplanetary life fundamentally expands the possibilities for human experience. Our long-term vision is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Additive Development team is responsible for development and maturing the core additive manufacturing technologies used to produce Relativity’s orbital class launch vehicle and other future products. The M&P (Materials & Processes) group is responsible for the characterization and implementation of materials and processes, and advising adjacent engineering teams on material selection, for Relativity’s products & programs.
What you’ll do:
As Director of M&P (Materials & Processes) you will be responsible for setting the vision, strategy, and technical roadmap of the M&P group at Relativity Space. You will set objectives for the M&P team to satisfy the needs across all departments and products, track progress and align work output to the broader objectives and roadmap of the company in addition to identifying opportunities for novel development efforts. This includes determining setting headcount and budget requirements, equipment selection and capacity sizing, as well as operational strategies to provide critical data to adjacent engineering teams in a timely and robust manner.
You will lead the team of materials engineers through the initial development campaigns of traditional and novel materials, processes, and additive technologies. Your team will be accountable for the qualification of Relativity’s material allowables and be a key contributor in Relativity’s product lifecycle management, including thermal effects, corrosion, fatigue, and fracture. Your team will also be responsible for driving M&P failure analysis campaigns. Along with our Data Science and Materials Informatics teams, your team will help to scale our M&P data meeting the needs of future programs and technologies. Additionally, you will represent the M&P team and the broader Additive Development team in forums with internal engineering teams, our executive team, government agencies, and customer facing interfaces.
What you need to know:
- BS or MS in an engineering related field, preferably Materials Engineering
- 5+ years of experience leading and scaling engineering teams with broad technical scope
- 10+ years in metallics materials engineering (experience in materials fabrication techniques and additive manufacturing preferred)
- Able to distill complex, multifactor issues, projects, data, and decisions through excellent written, presentation, and communication skills
- Background in establishing and maturing quality assurance frameworks for high criticality products and systems
- Experience in leading material and process maturation campaigns (e. TRL/MRL 4-9)
- Strong track record of establishing and maintaining high safety standards
Nice to haves but not required:
- PhD in Materials Science, Engineering, or similar field
- Experience with WAAM, L-PBF, L-DED, CSAM, and EBAM
- Solid background in developing robust and flexible frameworks for statistical analysis
- Work history in casting, drawing, extrusion, and powder atomization
- Familiarity of launch vehicle material and processes (thermal protection, corrosion mitigation, welding, fluid compatibility, etc)
- Proven track record in establishing robust engineering and laboratory work metrics
- Desire to guide and mentor managers and senior engineers and establish healthy team-oriented cultures
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace