A rocket company at the core, Relativity Space is on a mission to become the next great commercial launch company. Meeting the needs of a growing demand for space infrastructure, our rockets will revolutionize how we connect and communicate on Earth by getting satellites to space. We have developed a vertically integrated technology platform in which we leverage additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to 3D print rockets. Our unique approach enables rapid product iteration, allowing us to push the boundaries of what's possible today and unlock the full potential of 3D printing for tomorrow. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
The Stennis team at Relativity Space is responsible for designing, building, and operating world-class test stands in support of Terran R propulsion components, engines, and integrated stages. As part of this team, you will help build and operate massive outdoor test stands at the historic Stennis Space Center on the Gulf Coast, the largest rocket engine test complex in the country. The scale of Relativity’s projects in Stennis are eclipsed only by the Apollo program 60 years ago! Unique to this location, you will have the opportunity to get hands-on the fully integrated engine and stage assemblies, push the hardware to the limits, develop all aspects of operations, and witness rocket engines firing up close and personal! This team is critical to the development of Terran R and will be a part of so many first milestones! Check out this video to learn more about the Stennis test team.
What you’ll do:
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer at Relativity, you will be responsible for design, fabrication, and modification of test stands for our Terran 1 and Terran R engines and stages. Engineers at our Stennis facility are engaged directly with construction and maintenance activities in the field, across a variety of hours to years-long project scales.
- Design advanced propulsion test stands, including 3D modeling, fluids and structural analysis, fabrication drawings, fluids P&IDs, component lists, and detailed work instructions
- Supervise the construction, commissioning, and initial operations of these facilities
- Solve a variety of technical problems, across broad ranges of timeframe, complexity, cost, and long-term impact
- Support operations on and perform related improvements to existing test stands
What you need to know:
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or a related field and minimum 5+ years of combined engineering experience is required.
- Prior experience in aerospace is not required
- Varied perspectives & backgrounds strengthen our team
- Ownership of propulsion or structural test related projects including design, analysis, construction, and commissioning from beginning to end
- Proficiency in 3D modeling and drafting, including GD&T
- Strong engineering fundamentals in thermal, structural, and fluids analysis
- Demonstrated drive to deliver on tight schedules, especially when unconventional & creative solutions are necessary
- Hands-on fabrication experience using common power tools for projects at work/home/school
- Working knowledge of fluid components such as valves, regulators, and instrumentation
- Experience designing, fabricating, and operating complex fluid systems
- Ability to work occasional night shifts
Nice to have but not required:
- You should still apply even if you don't have all of these!
- Experience with FEA or CFD
- Hands-on experience with metalworking, welding, hydraulics, manufacturing, etc.
- In depth knowledge of manufacturing processes, material selection, inspection, precision measurement, and non-destructive testing
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace