A rocket company at the core, Relativity Space is on a mission to become the next great commercial launch company. Meeting the needs of a growing demand for space infrastructure, our rockets will revolutionize how we connect and communicate on Earth by getting satellites to space. We have developed a vertically integrated technology platform in which we leverage additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to 3D print rockets. Our unique approach enables rapid product iteration, allowing us to push the boundaries of what's possible today and unlock the full potential of 3D printing for tomorrow. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
Relativity seeks a highly talented Welding Engineer to perform technical developments with our Stargate printers. You will be working alongside a team of weld technicians and engineers to effectively utilize large-scale print cells to produce prototype rockets. As an Additive Weld Engineer, you will have a direct effect on how our rockets are built—on a day to day, you will lead the deployment and application of new additive manufacturing procedures on a variety of flight components, produce and enforce standards for our additive process, and assist in optimizing and automating our processes.
What you’ll do:
To be successful in this role, the candidate will have welding automation experience in a production environment. You will have demonstrated both hands on and theoretical understanding of the arc welding process to produce high quality welds. The candidate will have experience developing welding parameters and establishing standards. Ideally, this candidate will also have experience operating mechanized or robotic welding equipment. This role is extremely collaborative— the candidate will be working with all teams from robotics, design, materials, NDT, and operations. Ability to form strong, collaborative relationships with peers and leaders across the company is key.
What you need to know:
- B.S. in Welding Engineering
- 2+ years of experience demonstrating both hands-on welding and process development
- Demonstrated working knowledge of NDT evaluation, metallurgy, root-cause analysis, and design requirement definition.
- Deep practical and theory-based understanding of the GMAW process.
- Well versed material science understanding of aluminum alloys.
- Diagnose weld process defects and suggest corrective actions, both in repair and optimization.
- Ability to consistently make timely decisions even in the face of complexity.
- Ability to cope with high demand environment where priorities change frequently, and multiple projects are being worked on at the same time.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills, including suggesting appropriate modifications to welding equipment to improve the process.
- Strong interdisciplinary communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with technicians and engineers to develop welding parameters that meet part requirements.
- Proven experience of leadership and mentoring
Nice to have but not required:
- MS. in Welding Engineering or related technical field
- Experience with arc additive processes
- Strong familiarity with industrial robotics and automation
- Experience with additive manufacturing software packages
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace