Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Avionics team is responsible for the design, testing, and production of electronic systems on the Terran 1 and Terran R launch vehicles. As a member of this team, you will be responsible for avionics hardware designs that work with multiple vehicle systems including but not limited to vehicle sensors, propulsion, computing, actuation, energy management, and communications. Avionics operation is critical to the successful flight of Terran 1, the world’s first 3D printed rocket.
What you’ll do:
- Drive the design and development of launch vehicle electronics hardware such as flight computers, power distribution systems, actuator systems, navigation systems, communication systems, etc
- Work with partner teams such as propulsion, GNC, mechanisms, launch, etc. to define system requirements, interfaces, and understand system performance impacts of avionics designs
- Make complex technical decisions (risk tradeoffs, evaluation of trade studies, anomaly investigations, etc.) based on physical principles and experience
- Define avionics system requirements and system architecture
- Guide engineers in hardware design in at least one of three areas: power electronics, digital electronics, or mixed signal electronics
- Foster strong engineering culture in the team through mentorship, training, and development of engineering processes and principles (design reviews, root cause investigations, etc.)
- Communicate complex avionics concepts to a wide variety of audiences
- Bring clarity and direction to ambiguous technical problems
- Identify opportunities to leverage new technologies in the development of avionics systems
What you need to know:
- Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or a related field
- 10+ years of experience in electronics hardware design in at least one of these areas:
- Power electronics: motor drives and control, DC-DC converters, load switches, high voltage DC electronics
- Digital electronics: high speed serial interfaces (SPI, PCIe, Ethernet, etc.); memory interfaces; design for SoCs, microcontrollers, and microprocessors
- Mixed-signal electronics: ADCs, DACs, signal conditioning, amplifier circuits, filter design, etc.
- Experience driving rigorous engineering process (requirements capture, design reviews, design verification, etc.)
- Experience working with highly cross-functional teams (mechanical, thermal, electrical, software, etc.) to develop integrated electronics solutions
- Experience mentoring engineers in engineering best-practices and domain-specific technical principles
- Comfortable communicating deeply technical topics to a wide variety of audiences
Nice to haves but not required:
- Experience with design of electronics for harsh environments (vibe, thermal, vacuum, radiation, etc.)
- Experience with design of electronics for mission-critical applications (aviation, automotive, robotics, spacecraft, medical)
- Experience with system architecture development for complex electronics systems
- Experience leading a team of engineers
- Sourcing strategy/Desirable Special Skillsets
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.