Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Additive Development team at Relativity Space is responsible for the core design, development, automation and operation of Relativity’s Additive Technologies. The Mechanical Engineering team is responsible for the design and physical layout of our Stargate Class Printers and other automated cells for additively manufacturing, inspecting, and post-processing our 3D printed components. The Mechanical Engineering team works closely with our Robotics, Weld, and NDE Teams to derive requirements for our novel process and turn them into functional detailed designs. The Mechanical Engineering team brings a high level of innovation and ingenuity into the design process, as they are tasked with building out our highly-automated 3D printers.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives:
You will be a leading voice in the Additive Mechanical Engineering team. You will leverage the breadth of your experience on diverse past projects in pursuit of driving forward large format Additive manufacturing processes in service of 3D printing rockets. In this role you will be responsible for conceptualizing and translating engineering requirements and concepts into detailed designs for our Stargate-Class 3D printers as well as other high-complexity electromechanical systems.
You are a creative thinker in your approach to technical problem solving. You know how to gather input from diverse stakeholders and translate that into an elegant and effective engineering design solution. If requirements consensus is impossible to define or if requirements are in conflict with one another, you are not afraid to show stakeholders what they never knew they needed but cannot live without. Successful candidates will display patience in mentoring younger members of the team as they look to raise the capabilities of the department overall. You have an R&D spirit but understand that unlocking Relativity’s potential will require scaling concepts into a viable production pipeline. A blank piece of paper excites you more than it scares you.
What you need to know:
- Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical or mechatronic engineering.
- 10+ years of experience, designing industrial automation equipment, mechanical structures, ground support equipment or flight/automotive/consumer hardware.
- 2+ years of experience leading a technical engineering team, preferably in design or fabrication.
- Extensive experience operating in CAD (preferably NX) and creating assembly drawings.
- Extensive experience project managing a product through its lifecycle—from concept thru design into commissioning.
- Experience designing industrial automation systems; capable of deriving requirements for and sizing mechanical, electrical, and pneumatic components
- Experience interfacing with manufacturing engineers, contractors, and technicians.
- Incorporating human factors and safety into design solutions
- Proficiency in GD&T
Nice to haves but not required:
- Master’s degree in mechanical engineering.
- Team leadership of multi-disciplinary teams
- Self-starter that has demonstrated the ability to define and own a product from minimum requirements and concepts.
- Mechanical design experience with automated systems and integration with industrial automation robots.
- Experience in performing structural FEA analysis using ANSYS, FEMAP, or equivalent
- Experience in mobile robotic design a plus
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.