At Relativity, we reimagine the way rockets are built and flown. We are looking for a Senior Structures Design Engineer to join the vehicle structures team and help us achieve our ambitious goal of launching a 3D printed rocket to space.
As part of the structures team, you will support our mission of changing the way rockets are built and flown as an engineer responsible for bringing critical flight structures and supporting components from design concept to physical hardware ready for launch.
Your goal, along with the team, is to deliver these projects on time and budget. In order to achieve this, you will be working closely with our additive, manufacturing, design, test and loads teams.
What you’ll do:
The scope of work encompasses a full design cycle, including conceptualization, design, analysis, manufacturing and testing for primary and secondary structures related to Thrust Structure, Propellant Tanks, Interstage or Fairing, to name a few. You will need to think creatively to leverage our additive technology to reduce mass, parts, processes and tooling required.
Here are some examples of projects you could be working on:
- Innovative conceptualization of structural load path, design for complex structures and adjacent system packaging.
- Review of static & dynamic load inputs, material properties & test as well as structural systems & subsystems requirements.
- Analysis and sizing of flight structures to ensure timely design reviews and drawing release.
- Develop and support hardware test campaigns, including test integration, operation and result evaluation.
- Support manufacturing process development.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who is self-motivated, adaptable and is able to lead your own projects to completion and can thrive in a fast-paced environment. Ideally, you have significant mechanical or structural design experience and a proven track record completing collaborative projects effectively.
On a weekly basis, you will be designing flight components using NX/TeamCenter, performing analysis using Nastran, ANSYS and/or hand calculations, creating and releasing drawings as well as supporting fabrication of your components. Your designs will be optimized for our additive manufacturing methods, for which fundamental knowledge is crucial. You will also use your strong organizational skills to properly document your work and move forward your recommendation when decisions are needed.
What you need to know:
- 5+ years of experience in a design engineering role.
- Bachelor’s degree in related discipline.
- Working knowledge of structural analysis and test (from hand calculations to advanced analysis).
- Fundamental knowledge of structures strength, stability and fatigue failure mechanisms.
- Fundamental knowledge of additive and traditional manufacturing processes.
Nice to haves but not required:
- 7+ years of mechanical or structural design & analysis experience.
- Extensive experience with NX/TeamCenter.
- Experience using Nastran and ANSYS.
- Project ownership experience.
- Experience with GD&T.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.