Team and Role Overview
Relativity seeks a highly talented thermal engineer to help achieve our ambitious goal of launching a 3D printed rocket. Reporting to the Manager of Vehicle Engineering, the Thermal Engineer will join a group of experienced launch vehicle analysts and engineers who are responsible for making the entire Terran 1 launch vehicle work. This position is ideal for engineers looking to make a direct impact on a variety of mission-critical systems and processes as a technical authority for thermal systems.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
As a member of the rapidly growing vehicle engineering team at Relativity, you will have a hand in all thermal aspects of designing, testing, and launching the Terran 1 launch vehicle.
Projects and responsibilities would include:
- Leverage your knowledge of thermal sciences to re-think launch vehicles around large-scale 3D printing
- Represent the thermal sciences within Relativity, helping to disposition thermal issues across the company
- Architect Terran 1 thermal systems like insulation, thermal protection, and environmental conditioning with support from hardcore analysts and peer technical teams, like Fluids Systems, Dynamics, Structures, and Propulsion
- Direct design and development engineers in the successful application of thermal sciences to achieve system and component requirements
- Develop and execute tests to support thermal systems development and qualification, including hands-on work like test article integration, instrumentation setup, and data processing
- Help the Vehicle Engineering team grow in size, capability, and speed to support our goal of building a rocket in 60 days
The successful candidate will demonstrate an excellent understanding of thermal and fluid systems and a track record of delivering when in difficult positions. You should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and leads your own projects to completion. You are experienced in delivering effective output without sufficient input.
- An undergraduate degree in engineering or related field and 5+ years relevant experience
- Expertise in heat transfer and fluid dynamics
- Aerospace vehicle program experience from concept through V&V or certification
- Experience solving complex thermal and fluids problems in integrated systems
- Proficiency in a major 3D CAD tool like NX or CATIA
- Proficiency in an engineering scripting language like MATLAB or Python
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Graduate degree (MS/PhD) in engineering or related field and 10+ years relevant experience
- Experience with cryogenic fluid systems
- Experience with launch or hypersonic vehicle thermal protection systems
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.