Director of Environmental Modeling
With our changing climate, the sustainability of our planet and primarily our food resources is a problem growing exponentially for all of us. The team at Regrow is on a mission to give farmers and food growers around the world valuable insights to optimize their growing conditions in pursuit of solving crop failures and food shortages. How are we going to take on this audacious challenge? With science and a vision to solve how a land mass behaves to cool the earth. We’re currently monitoring 155 million acres of land in over 45 countries, so we’re on our way to a more sustainable planet. With this, we have a beautiful group of customer fans who are industry leaders and we’re looking for a Director of Environmental Modeling and Data Science to be the technical leader on advancing our products that seek to balance agricultural and ecosystem outcomes, supporting our customers in transforming their agribusinesses to reverse climate change. Check us out on TEDx and TechCrunch for a preview of what we can do for our customers.
This is a unique opportunity at a company on a path to huge growth and success. It’s not every day you can join a company and meaningfully contribute to a better future of our planet and humanity. You’ll be applying your skills to accelerate the digital agriculture revolution on a global basis! Won’t this be a fun story to tell someday?!
In this key role, you will have an opportunity to:
- Bring together some of the best modeling tools across crop, soil and water modeling (APSIM, DNDC, and others) into an inter-connected modeling framework estimating agricultural and environmental outcomes with minimal user input, leveraging remote sensing and public datasets
- Oversee planning, design, and execution of all project deliverables across multiple simultaneous work streams in support of programs related to soil carbon and ecosystem services
- Lead the Carbon and Agronomy science teams to develop and implement algorithms that will help improve quantification and management of soil health, and nutrient practices nationally and internationally
Coordinate work effort between all dependent groups (carbon, agronomy and remote sensing), teams, and tasks in relation to soil carbon and ecosystem services programs.
- Manage product-related modeling and data analysis requests, and other support tasks to ensure timely execution of activities through solution acceptance by internal and external stakeholders
- Execute planning, status and ad-hoc meetings for carbon and other science teams as required; keep project documentation for all initiatives and track and communicate risks and issues and execute mitigating steps, as necessary
- Provide advice and recommendations on the following: the effective use of available resources, enhanced control of the scope of work, recommendations regarding various architectural solutions across modeling tools, and product delivery methods suitable for each project or program, optimal project scheduling options, enhanced modeling outcomes (accuracy, uncertainty)
- Analyze data and user needs to determine functional and cross-functional requirements
- Provides management oversight across multiple simultaneous projects or project tracts within environmental program
- Lead the Carbon team with the goal to research, develop and implement the algorithms to
generate soil sampling schemes for large and complex conservation and soil sampling projects
- enable rapid soil carbon quantification, researching soil carbon stabilization/cycling
support measurement, reporting and verification of carbon and ecosystem service outcomes
- Lead the research on the affects of agronomic practices that result in enhanced sequestration of soil carbon and other ecosystem benefits and overall mitigation of the impacts of climate change on agriculture
- Build the team and tools for tracking water quality and water quantity impacts of conservation projects
- Oversee and as required, analyze large remotely sensed, geospatial datasets for agriculture and rangeland applications to produce reports that address customers' needs; automate the reporting that is being requested multiple times
- Work closely with engineering to implement and parametrize the environmental, mechanistic models to scale internationally
- Liaise with customers on the topics related to modeling of ecosystem service outcomes and natural climate solutions, understanding their needs, and articulating the way that our solutions and science-based tools may fit their needs
- Assist with the development of case studies and reports by providing insight into agricultural and ecosystem service outcomes to support natural climate solutions
To be successful in this role, we will expect:
- Ph.D Degree in earth systems science, environmental science, natural resources, carbon cycle science, or related fields
- Strong experience with soil carbon measurement and modeling
- Strong team leadership experience and capabilities to manage the team with a variety of backgrounds, including software engineers, scientists and business teams
- Desire to be in equal parts manager and contributor
- The ability to translate your technical knowledge into insights accessible for our team and our customers
- Excellent programming skills in Python
- Experience in modeling yield and productivity resilience based on soil and environmental drivers.
- Extensive data analysis experience
In addition, we would appreciate:
- Experience with Linux/Unix, cloud computing
- Experience with open-source geospatial libraries, e.g. GDAL, OGR, Fiona, Shapely
- Experience and interest in agriculture, geography, process-based modeling
- Experience developing applications independently, as well as in a team
- Experience with software and product development life cycle
- Strong focus and desire to understand and meet customer needs, adjusting the models to meet the real world requirements
And if you have these, you will thrive at Regrow:
- Passion about delivering value to customers and solving messy real-world problems
- The ability to organize yourself and others in an unstructured environment
- Preference to operating in an open/honest work environment
- A love of learning
- A desire to have a positive impact on something greater than you can achieve alone, being a part of the team, which is changing the world
Does this sound like your dream job? If so, go ahead and apply for the position and we’ll be in touch. We appreciate your interest in Regrow.
While it may go without saying once you see the diversity on our current team, we encourage diversity on our team at all levels of the company. We are committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive environment and to encourage these values in everyone on our team. We provide an environment of mutual respect where opportunities are available without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We believe that diversity and inclusion for people from all walks of life is key to our success as a company.