Senior Soil Carbon Scientist
With our changing climate, the sustainability of our planet and primarily our food resources is a problem growing exponentially for all of us. The team at Regrow is on a mission to give farmers and food growers around the world valuable insights to optimize their growing conditions in pursuit of solving crop failures and food shortages. How are we going to take on this audacious challenge? With science and a vision to solve how a land mass behaves to cool the earth. We’re currently monitoring 26 million acres of land in over 45 countries, so we’re on our way to a more sustainable planet. With this, we have a beautiful group of customer fans who are industry leaders and we’re looking for a Senior Soil Carbon Scientist to be the technical expert in helping those customers achieve great results with our products. Check us out on TEDx and TechCrunch for a preview of what we can do for our customers.
This is a unique opportunity at a company on a path to huge growth and success. It’s not every day you can join a company and meaningfully contribute to a better future of our planet and humanity. You’ll be applying your skills to accelerate the digital agriculture revolution on a global basis! Won’t this be a fun story to tell someday?!
In this key role, you will have an opportunity to:
- Work with the DNDC science and remote sensing science teams to develop and implement algorithms that will help improve soil management practices nationally and internationally
Analyze large remotely sensed, geospatial datasets for agriculture and rangeland applications
Develop algorithms to generate soil sampling schemes for large and complex conservation and soil sampling projects
- Develop and implement algorithms that support measurement, reporting and verification of carbon and ecosystem service outcomes to support natural climate solutions
- Develop techniques for rapid soil carbon quantification, researching soil carbon stabilization/cycling,
- Research the affects of soil carbon on mitigating the impacts of climate change on agriculture
Work closely with engineering to implement and parametrize mechanistic models (DNDC) to scale internationally
- Assist with the development of case studies and reports by providing insight into soil health and soil carbon processes modeled by DNDC
To be successful in this role, we will expect:
- M.S. or Ph.D Degree in earth systems science, environmental science, natural resources, carbon cycle science, or related fields
- Strong experience with soil carbon measurement and modeling
- Excellent programming skills in Python
- Extensive data analysis experience
- Strong team experience and capabilities to work with a variety of backgrounds, including software engineers, scientists and business teams
- The ability to translate your technical knowledge into insights accessible for our team and our customers
In addition, we would appreciate:
- Experience with Linux/Unix, cloud computing
- Experience in modeling yield and productivity resilience based on soil and environmental drivers.
- Experience with open-source geospatial libraries, e.g. GDAL, OGR, Fiona, Shapely
- Experience and interest in agriculture, geography, process-based modeling
- Experience developing applications independently, as well as in a team
- Experience with software development life cycle
- Strong focus and desire to understand and meet customer needs, adjusting the models to meet the real world requirements
And if you have these, you will thrive at Regrow:
- Passion about delivering value to customers and solving messy real-world problems
- The ability to organize yourself and others in an unstructured environment
- Preference to operating in an open/honest work environment
- A love of learning
- A desire to have a positive impact on something greater than you can achieve alone, being a part of the team, which is changing the world
Does this sound like your dream job? If so, go ahead and apply for the position and we’ll be in touch. We appreciate your interest in Regrow.
While it may go without saying once you see the diversity on our current team, we encourage diversity on our team at all levels of the company. We are committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive environment and to encourage these values in everyone on our team. We provide an environment of mutual respect where opportunities are available without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We believe that diversity and inclusion for people from all walks of life is key to our success as a company.