Based in the San Francisco / Bay area, RefleXion Medical is developing the first biologically-guided radiation therapy system for treating metastatic cancer. By uniquely leveraging Positron Emission Tomography (PET), RefleXion's patented technology uses signals that are continuously emitted from the tumor itself to guide the treatment beam, enabling the systemic treatment of multiple moving tumors in the body with ablative radiotherapy.
RefleXion is a fast-paced and unconstrained start-up environment looking for people who are energized by wide-open problems. We seek individuals with the foresight and experience to see a path to success, the drive and creativity to find a way around unexpected pitfalls, and the character and humility to accept and learn from occasional failure. RefleXion believes in the power of small multi-disciplinary teams, made of individuals who will pull in ideas from any quarter to solve a problem, and provide help to any quarter when needs arise.
Systems Physicist will be part of the Product Engineering group, a multi-disciplinary team of radiotherapy use experts. This team will work with the design engineers and outside clinicians to define, develop, and validate the clinical performance of new RefleXion biology-guided radiation therapy products. The team will focus on establishing the clinical requirements for the products and validating that the products address them. Successful candidate will need a strong background in PET Imaging, radiation physics, diagnostic imaging and medical device design control. The Systems Physicist will participate in the Product Engineering group to develop deep relationships with key opinion leaders in cancer treatment and in investigating and developing new high-value clinical applications for RefleXion’s products, contributing to the larger radiotherapy, radiology and oncology communities.
This is a hands-on role requiring deep technical understanding of PET Imaging physics, radiation physics and clinical workflow aspects applied to radiation therapy. Systems Physicist will be expected to understand medical device quality systems and design control, including specification, hazard analysis, and formal testing. He or she will engage the team on any and every issue necessary to ship products to customers of the highest quality and reliability.
- Conceptualize and execute physics projects to validate the clinical performance of RefleXion biology-guided radiation therapy system, with a particular focus on Reflexion’s PET Imaging System
- Develop tools to simulate and evaluate system performance under various clinical and practical test conditions – covering imaging, dosimetry, tracking, system throughput and other key performance parameters.
- Develop technical requirements and specifications from the simulations to ensure that RefleXion’s products meet their clinical performance goals
- Develop protocols and conduct formal testing to validate the clinical safety and efficacy of the product
- Support Regulatory (FDA, CE, …) documentation and applications
- Collaborate with other organizations within the company as needed i.e. regulatory, product education. training, sales and marketing
- Collaborate with clinical partners and KOL’s in the industry to develop protocols and criteria for acceptance and clinical utilization of Reflexion systems
- Publish system evaluation and clinical performance papers in collaboration with clinical partners, KOL’s, and internal R&D partners
- MS or PhD degree in Physics or Engineering with relevant clinical and research work experience.
- Clinical experience diagnostic imaging, particularly PET imaging and a strong background in radiation physics is highly desirable
- Expert-level ability to program in Matlab or equivalent language for simulation and data analysis is a must
- Strong background in computational algorithms, data structures, computer systems engineering is highly desirable
- Keen aptitude to work as part of a cross-functional product development team to move successful products from concept through launch
- Experience with QA methodologies for medical imaging and radiation therapy is highly desirable
- Excellent communicator with strong written and oral presentation skills
- Must be a self-starter and work with minimal supervision
- Experience with design control process for medical devices is highly desirable
- A passion for innovation leading to creation of robust and reliable products