The Senior FPGA Design Engineer at RefleXion will have responsibility for implementing the RefleXion radiotherapy system’s embedded hardware and firmware associated with patient safety, system reliability and serviceability. This engineer is expected to delivers solutions for communication PHY and LINK layers, and designs involving FPGA and electrical hardware for system safety interlocks, electro-mechanical systems control and radiation sensing. The engineer will be capable of delving into implementation details of various FPGA IP blocks in VHDL or SystemVerilog that support the embedded hardware and firmware architecture. The engineer will work with a highly integrated team on specification, design, debug, verification and validation, CE approval, FDA submissions, and documentation control.
In addition to expertise in embedded hardware and firmware development, the position will require some technical understanding of motion control systems and medical device hardware development best-practices. The hardware team will work closely with software engineers to understand machine requirements. The engineer will be expected to understand medical device quality systems and design control, including specification, hardware and firmware risk analysis, and formal testing. He or she will engage on any and every issue necessary to ship products to customers of the highest quality and reliability.
This position has responsibility and authority for delivering top quality hardware and firmware solution required to meet overall radiotherapy product requirements. This includes:
- Participate in brainstorming and analysis of potential innovations in performance, architecture and timing reliability of FPGA designs
- Designing and verification of IP blocks in VHDL or SystemVerilog, write test scripts in C so that FPGA logic blocks can be verified in Xilinx SDK environment.
- Work closely with board design engineers on IO pin assignments, power-up sequences, and FPGA-versus-Board functional optimization
- Complete test protocols, conduct FPGA verification and generating test reports to support a 510(k) submission and FDA clearance
- Participate in the development of efficient and high quality FPGA build processes
- Working closely with vendors to ensure the timely delivery of reliable components
- Providing assistance in the development of efficient and high quality production processes
- Minimum Requirements:
- A degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering with experience as a firmware or FPGA or ASIC design engineer:
- Bachelor degree with 6+ years of experience or
- Master’s degree with 4+ years of experience or
- PhD / ScD degree with 2+ years of experience
- Strong Electrical Engineering fundamentals by demonstrating knowledge or experience in areas such as logic design, computer organization and architecture, power management, analog/digital interface, signal processing and classical control theory.
- Experience developing digital designs in ASIC or in FPGAs with deep understanding of timing closures.
- Demonstrated evidence of being a fast learner to come up to speed with new development tools (such as Xilinx Vivado, Xilinx SDK) and programming languages ( C, C++ and Python) in support of firmware development
- Demonstrated experience in and comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, validation, and transfer to manufacturing; comfortable with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis
- Strong ability to isolate and debug hardware problems to the component level. This can be demonstrated by hands-on experience with test equipment such as logic analyzer, oscilloscope, BERT, DCA, TDR/TDT, DVM and Ohmmeter
- Experience in SerDes that runs at least 3.125 G transitions/s or in high-speed FPGA designs with system clock rate for at least 100MHz
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment that requires fast iterations of “good-enough” designs, which eventually evolved into a robust final design
- Ability to deal with ambiguity in specification, and help the development team to refine specification with rigorous engineering judgement
- Attention to detail and a proven track record of taking projects from concept to completion in a compressed schedule environment
- Excellent communication (written, oral), presentation and documentation skills
- Dedication and determination to get through challenging problems with great creativity
- Demonstrated ability to inspire and mentor other engineers by technical example
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Knowledge of real-time operating systems or other embedded real-time frameworks highly desirable
- At least 3 years of experience using Xilinx Vivado, or Microsemi LiberoSOC.
- At least 3 years of experience in writing and testing C or C++ programs that manipulates individual bits with a register for embedded applications
- Regulatory agency experience including CE and FDA approval processes
- Willingness to occasional travel not exceeding 10% of time in a year.