The Principal Research Scientist position offers a unique and exciting opportunity in the development of RefleXion’s revolutionary biology-guided radiotherapy (BgRT) system. The Principal Research Scientist will own the implementation and on-going management of translational and pre-clinical research projects, in support of clinical development of the RefleXion BgRT radiotherapy system. This individual will play a crucial role working across multiple sites with early Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) and other key stakeholders as they gain their first experiences with RefleXion's pre-clinical software applications and translate those experiences into the initial clinical research. This role requires strong technical and clinical knowledge, along with professional experience.
- Managing research collaborations at luminary institutions and driving joint projects that can lead to conference presentations, publications and/or extramural grant applications
- Maintain Clinical and Technical expertise in the field of Radiation Oncology
- Assist with the identification of potential collaborators for pre-clinical field research and verify that they have the required staff, expertise, equipment and facilities
- Assist in the negotiation of institutional agreements or professional service agreements with participating sites and coordinate execution of contracts
- Project management of investigator-initiated research; including day-to-day communications, regular travel to customer sites, facilitation of interim in-person and web-based meetings, generation of interim status reports, preparation of final reports, oral presentations at professional meetings and submission of manuscripts to respected, peer-reviewed professional journals
- Represent the voice-of-the customer to the larger RefleXion organization via structured field notes, summary reports and presentations
- Collaborate with engineering and regulatory staff in the conceptualization and execution of pre-clinical field research, usability testing, workflow analysis, verification tests, including participation in the generation of final test reports and regulatory documents
- Competently and quickly resolve problems in customer-facing situations using knowledge of the RefleXion clinical applications, available tools, mature judgement, discretion, skills and knowledge of generally defined practices and policies to provide the highest level of customer satisfaction.
- Share best practices and lessons learned, as well as implement new processes and tools to support continuous improvement and effectiveness of the program
- Excel in a high-energy team environment, be a strong communicator, operate with high level of autonomy and be capable of making sound decisions when faced with the time pressures and ambiguous and incomplete information typical of a startup environment.
- Graduate degree in Medical Physics (Therapy track) preferred
- 5+ years experience in medical physics or related field, either in industry or academic setting
- Knowledge of radiotherapy industry; e.g. industry history, key customers, competition, and regulatory environment preferred
- Ability to travel up to 20% domestically and internationally
- Excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills to effectively synthesize information and to connect with varied and diverse individuals and audiences
- Excellent time management and project management skills, with ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines while providing quality results
- Excellent organizational skills, with demonstrated ability to build rapport with diverse stakeholders and to function in sometimes politically demanding environments with a strong spirit of outreach, diplomacy and collaboration.
- Familiarity with multi-modality imaging; PET, kVCT and MV
- Positive, proactive, customer service attitude
- Self-starter, works well independently, but also as part of a team
- Proven analytic ability and problem-solving skills
- Ability to clearly articulate technical problems and resolutions for pre-clinical applications, using a tracking/documentation system
- Proven ability to submit successful manuscripts to recognized peer-reviewed journals
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office applications; ability to quickly learn new software applications
- Familiarity with the NIH/NCI grant submission process and procedures preferred
- Understanding of basic DICOM-RT / HL7, PACS preferred
- Knowledge of HIPAA compliance regulations preferred