The Firmware Engineer at RefleXion will have firmware responsibility for the RefleXion‘s embedded system. This engineer is expected to deliver firmware solutions for interfacing hardware resources to application programs. The engineer will work with a highly integrated team on specification, design, debug, verification and validation, CE approval, FDA submissions, and documentation control.
The successful candidate will be a strong technical contributor with a deep grounding in sound firmware development practices in an embedded systems environment.
In addition to expertise in firmware development, the engineer will be expected to understand medical device quality systems and design control, including specification, hardware and firmware risk analysis, and formal testing. He or she will engage on any and every issue necessary to ship products to customers of the highest quality and reliability.
This position has responsibility and authority for delivering top quality firmware solution required to meet overall radiotherapy product requirements. This includes:
- Prototype, design, implement, test, debug and maintain firmware (device drivers, BSPs and Hardware Abstraction Layer library) that serve as the bridge between hardware resources and application software.
- Participate in completing test cases, conduct embedded systems verification and generating test reports to support a 510(k) submission and FDA clearance
- Support on projects comprising software/hardware interfaces, simulation, and data analysis.
- Participate in cross-functional project teams with scientists, technical support and other engineers to resolve software issues.
- Document firmware; write technical specifications for interfaces and testing.
- A degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering with varying degree of experience in the information technology, medical device, test/measurement, automotive or aerospace industry as a firmware engineer
- Bachelor’s degree with 3+ years of experience or
- Master's degree with 1+ years of experience
- BSP implementation experience using C, C++ programmer for real-time / embedded system design, debug, and testing in an Embedded Linux / RTOS environment including device driver implementation experience for Ethernet controllers, Flash device and USB devices
- Solid understanding of communication protocols such as TCP/IP, UDP, and UART
- Strong Computer Engineering fundamentals by demonstrating knowledge or experience in areas such as logic design, computer organization and architecture, concurrency, threading and data structures
- Demonstrated evidence of being a fast learner to come up to speed with new development tools (such as Xilinx SDK and other IDE tools) in support of firmware development
- Demonstrated experience in and comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, validation, and transfer to manufacturing; comfortable with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis
- Ability to deal with ambiguity in specification, and help the development team to refine specification with rigorous engineering judgement
- Excellent communication (written, oral), presentation and documentation skills
- Dedication and determination to get through challenging problems and system level debugging with great patience, attention to detail and creativity
- Standards-based design experience including CE and FDA, or other regulated industry, approval processes
- Strong ability to isolate and debug hardware problems to the component level. This can be demonstrated by hands-on experience with test equipment such as logic analyzer, oscilloscope, BERT, DCA, TDR/TDT, DVM and Ohmmeter
- Willingness to occasional travel not exceeding 10% of time in a year.