We are fundamentally altering the cancer treatment landscape by creating a modality that uses the unique biology of each tumor as a means to destroy it. Our ground-breaking approach marries positron emission tomography (PET) – the gold standard for visualizing cancer – with radiotherapy – one of the most effective ways to treat cancer. This combination, biology guiding radiotherapy (BgRT), turns cancer on itself, and finally enables radiotherapy for all stages of cancer, including metastatic disease. Biology guiding radiotherapy offers hope for millions of patients who today, have limited treatment options.
At the center of our bold vision, are passionate, committed team members who align with our culture:
- Bold. We aren’t here to fit in and provide yet another radiotherapy solution; we’re here to change the game.
- Confident. We don’t shy away from the challenge of implementing a breakthrough in cancer care – we tackle it head on from all dimensions.
- Heart. Fueled by our own experiences with cancer, this is personal. It’s driven us to develop solutions that have, until now, seemed impossible.
- Challengers of convention. We don’t let today’s technology be a barrier. We dream big and innovate to make our dreams a reality.
Treatment Planning Optimization Intern will become a part of the RefleXion Algorithms team, and work in collaboration with RefleXion engineers and scientists to develop new features and expand existing capabilities of RefleXion treatment planning system. The various projects will involve convex optimization, radiotherapy dose calculation, measurement data processing and analysis, and optimization problem pareto-optimality analysis.
This position requires working knowledge of convex optimization, signal and image processing fundamentals, related mathematical fundamentals including linear algebra, and will require analyzing and improving existing algorithms for solving complex problems in next generation radiation treatment planning and delivery.
The outcome of all radiation cancer treatments is dependent on the underlying cancer biology and the dose distribution delivered to the patient. RefleXion's patented biological guidance represents a revolution in radiation delivery that enables the underlying cancer biology to control and shape the therapeutic tumor dose. Treatment Planning Optimization Intern will participate in projects that make this possible, and which are critical to the development of RefleXion’s revolutionary cancer treatment machine.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Developing new features for RefleXion radiotherapy treatment planning optimization and dose calculation engines.
- Developing automated validation suites for radiotherapy treatment planning optimization.
- Working with Physics team to analyze dose measurement results for dose calculation validation.
- Analyzing algorithm convergence and proving important mathematical properties.
- Reading research papers, technical briefs, whitepapers and analyzing algorithms requirements and tradeoffs, and quickly generating Matlab prototypes
- MS. or Ph.D. in engineering field with focus on math and experience in software engineering.
- Working knowledge of convex optimization, signal processing basics (Fourier transforms, shift-invariance, and sampling theorem), and math fundamentals including linear algebra.
- Published original research work involving the above.
- Experience in Matlab
- Experience with C++
- Background in parallel programming, data structures, and big-O cost analysis.
- Excellent communication, presentation and documentation skills.