RefleXion Medical is on a mission to create a new cancer treatment modality through biological guidance. By leveraging positron emission tomography (PET) in a novel way, RefleXion’s patented technology causes tumors to continuously signal their location during treatment, potentially revolutionizing cancer care.
We’re passionately committed to making dramatic changes to cancer care, and we believe that small, lean teams of brilliant people are the only way to do that. We need teammates with both the foresight and experience to avoid roadblocks, and the drive and creativity to steer around those that inevitably appear. We seek those who will unabashedly and relentlessly help us create a new modality in cancer care.
If you are bold and inventive – we want you.
If you combine passion with experience – we want you.
If you embrace iteration and constant learning – we want you.
Come and join a company on an incredible and meaningful mission.
The Optimization Engineer will be the in-house expert at convex optimization, pareto-optimality analysis, and algorithm convergence. Mathematical optimization is the cornerstone of ensuring optimal patient outcomes with the innovative RefleXion biology-guided radiation therapy.
The outcome of all radiation cancer treatments is dependent on the underlying cancer biology and the dose distribution delivered to the patient. RefleXion's patented biological guidance represents a revolution in radiation delivery that enables the underlying cancer biology to control and shape the therapeutic tumor dose. The Optimization Engineer will be primarily responsible for developing and improving the mathematical optimization and other computations that make this possible. This position requires expert knowledge of convex optimization, signal and image processing fundamentals, related mathematical fundamentals including linear algebra, as well as experience with conventional radiotherapy treatment planning and dose optimization. It will require designing, analyzing and productizing new algorithms for solving complex problems in next generation radiation treatment planning and delivery.
The successful candidate will be expected to learn the medical device quality system and design control regulations, including specification, risk analysis, verification, validation, and manufacturing process controls. The candidate will engage on any and every issue necessary to ship products to customers of the highest quality and reliability.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Deriving new algorithms for radiotherapy treatment planning, convex dose optimization, motion tracking, and outcomes analysis
- Analyzing algorithm convergence and proving important mathematical properties
- Reading research papers, technical briefs, whitepapers and analyzing algorithms requirements and tradeoffs, and quickly generating MATLAB prototypes
- Writing research papers, commercial whitepapers, and presenting at industry meetings
- Defining engineering requirements from product requirements
- Completing required documentation to support a 510(k) submission and clearance
- Solid knowledge of convex optimization, signal processing basics (Fourier transforms, shift-invariance, and sampling theorem), and math fundamentals including linear algebra
- 3+ years of developing complex radiotherapy or similar optimization algorithms
- Expert in MATLAB
- Experience with C++
- Solid background in parallel programming, data structures, and big-O cost analysis
- Experience in CUDA / GPU programming preferred
- Computer graphics and real-time data processing experience a plus
- Excellent communication, presentation and documentation skills.