Senior Designer, Social / Snapchat (Freelance)
Refinery29 is the leading media and entertainment company focused on women with a global audience footprint of 249 million across all platforms. Through a variety of lifestyle stories, original video programming, social, shareable content, and live experiences, Refinery29 provides its audience with the inspiration and tools to discover and pursue a more independent, stylish, and informed life. Please visit www.refinery29.com, www.refinery29.com/en-ca, www.refinery29.uk, www.refinery29.de and www.refinery29.com/fr-fr for more information and to browse content.
What Makes an R29er?
You have a deep commitment and passion for the mission of R29 to motivate and inspire women through their own unique power, identity, and infinite potential. You have a deep knowledge and/or interest in women’s storytelling and reporting, as well as its distinct power to inform and drive conversation & change. You ignite possibility and solutions in even the most challenging moments, and you have an innate desire to strive for excellence and progress, through your daily work and your attitude.
About the role:
The role of Senior Designer is a fluid one. This person functions as coordinator, art director and designer for the design team of Snapchat and Social. The person in this role creates layouts and original illustrations, while utilizing our robust stock image library in new and innovative ways. The ideal candidate for this position has a knack for organization, a tireless curiosity and a passion for working collaboratively with minds across schools of thought and skill levels. This person thrives in fast-paced environments and can function as part of a team while owning their individual voice and ideas. This position is based in New York, NY
What you’ll do:
- Oversees workflow, deadlines and approval of social assets made for Refinery29’s Snapchat Discover and Instagram channels.
- Designs and illustrates original assets for our Instagram channels (@R29Unbothered, @Refinery29, @R29Style, & others)
- Works with programming team to develop beautiful and innovative formats, templates, and guidelines that adhere to the platform's best practices
- Design/layout top snaps for animations, flat content for long-form editorial and video content using Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Work in tandem with the animators to ensure files are prepared correctly and their vision becomes a reality.
- Maintain a catalog of top-performing imagery and formats to assist in messaging out best practices
- Works closely with video producers on aesthetic cohesion in videos, including but not limited to on-set designs and in-video graphics.
What you have:
- Experience in graphic design for digital platforms
- Strong aesthetic skills with an eye for colors, fonts and layouts
- Deep knowledge of and familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud Products (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.
- Thorough understanding of responsive design principles for mobile design.
- Passionate about creating excellent design work, motivated to share and learn with your design team, and driven to improve
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and strong time-management skills.
- Strong desire to develop creatively and push the R29 visual brand forward
- Positive attitude, Highly collaborative, flexible, and ready to work with cross-disciplinary teams.
To be successful here you are:
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, high volume team
- Someone who enjoys problem-solving in an ever-changing environment
- Inspired to push boundaries and be a thought leader
For consideration, you must submit your resume and link to your online portfolio. Applications submitted without a portfolio will not be considered.