Refinery29 is the leading media and entertainment company focused on women with a global audience footprint of 249 million across all platforms. Through a variety of lifestyle stories, original video programming, social, shareable content, and live experiences, Refinery29 provides its audience with the inspiration and tools to discover and pursue a more independent, stylish, and informed life. Please visit Refinery29 for more information and to browse content. You can also visit our French, German, US, and Canadian editions.
About the role:
Refinery29 is looking for a staff writer to join our growing editorial team. We're looking for a talented journalist who can help drive all critical coverage of UK and international news that touches the lives of millennial women, both directly and indirectly. You will write breaking stories, investigative features, thought pieces as well as preparing and sending our daily news email. The stories you write will inspire action, distill complex conflicts, give female voice to global experiences, and illuminate issues that often go undiscussed, yet are widely impactful in women's lives. Our ideal candidate will have strong news judgment and be able to accurately report on stories as they are breaking. This person will be able to find the stories behind the headlines that our readers must know about but simply won't find anywhere else. This position is based in our London office.
What you’ll do:
- Write 1-2 trending stories a day with a focus on news but also covering topics such as fashion, beauty, lifestyle, health and entertainment
- Create and send our daily news email and contribute to daily morning news meetings which sets the news agenda for the day
- Curate the homepage every morning, updating it throughout the day as new stories are published
- Newsgathering: build contacts and relationships with key sources around the world in the areas of politics, women's rights, economic development and the environment, among others.
- Reporting: exceptional ability to source stories, write cogently and fact check vigorously
- Pitching: ability to pitch unique, engaging story ideas every day, come up with original angles as well as juggle multiple pieces in various stages of production
- Editing: ability to line edit and punch up copy
- Pitch and participate in weekly editorial meetings and other brainstorming sessions
- Attend industry events and press conferences when required and stay on top of emerging news and trends
- Plan, prioritise and organise breaking news stories and long read features, working effectively to meet deadlines
- Strong editorial judgement: knowing which stories to report on in real time, and the ability to package them in a way that resonates with the R29 reader.
What you have:
- Impeccable writing and reporting skills
- Solid experience as an in-house journalist
- Ability to generate exciting, innovative content ideas
- Journalistic integrity with unmatched creativity
- Familiarity with analytical tools such as Google Analytics.
To be successful here you are:
- Comfortable working on a fast-paced, high volume team
- An ideas person with a positive attitude.
Refinery29 is firmly committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital or physical or mental disability.