Refinery29 is the leading media and entertainment company focused on women with a global audience footprint of 249 million across all platforms. Through a variety of lifestyle stories, original video programming, social, shareable content, and live experiences, Refinery29 provides its audience with the inspiration and tools to discover and pursue a more independent, stylish, and informed life. Please visit www.refinery29.com, www.refinery29.com/en-ca, www.refinery29.uk, www.refinery29.de and www.refinery29.com/fr-fr for more information and to browse content.
About the team:
We create all written content for the website, from long-form articles and programs to service and slideshows. We're composed of six categories — Health + Wellness, Living, Entertainment, News, Work & Money, Fashion, and Beauty — and we help shape and guide how Refinery29 and its impact can grow into those spaces, delivering on those promises with fresh content, tools, and discussion every day.
What Makes an R29er?
- You have commitment and passion about the mission of R29 to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, and claim their power and realize their infinite potential
About the job:
Refinery29 is looking for an experienced editor to help lead a team of four writers and a fleet of freelancers on the Health & Wellness team. You’ll be in charge of keeping everything running smoothly, meeting with writers weekly, editing 6-10 daily stories, occasionally working on longer features, and assisting on larger packages and projects. You’ll be the director’s right hand, and they’ll depend on you for your smart feedback, sharp editing skills, news judgement, and analytical skills.
You should have specific experience in the health and wellness space, a strong roster of contacts in the industry, go-to freelance writers, and the knowledge to guide writers through reporting and writing tricky stories.
What you’ll do:
- Assign & Edit 6-8 articles per day
- Edit the work of junior staffers and mentor their editorial growth
- Generate story ideas, including takes on daily news and pop culture
- Become engrossed in the booming wellness scene worldwide
- Work closely with the Health & Wellness Director to develop the voice of the section and constantly challenge the team to conceive and execute smart and shareable content for millennial-minded readers
- Monitor daily traffic goals and make quick, real-time pivots to help us hit monthly goals
- A strong knowledge of SEO and analytical tools is a must
What you have:
- Bachelor's or Master’s Degree in Journalism, English or a related field
- Positive, intuitive/proactive, and collaborative team player
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong copy editing skills
- Superior judgment and discretion
To be successful here you are:
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Someone who enjoys problem-solving in an ever-changing environment
- Inspired to push boundaries and be a thought leader