Refinery29 is the leading media and entertainment company focused on women with a global audience footprint of 249 million across all platforms. Through a variety of lifestyle stories, original video programming, social, shareable content, and live experiences, Refinery29 provides its audience with the inspiration and tools to discover and pursue a more independent, stylish, and informed life. Please visit www.refinery29.com, www.refinery29.com/en-ca, www.refinery29.uk, www.refinery29.de and www.refinery29.com/fr-fr for more information and to browse content.
About the team:
We create all written content for the website, from long-form articles and programs to service and slideshows. We're composed of six categories — Health + Wellness, Living, Entertainment, News, Work & Money, Fashion, and Beauty — and we help shape and guide how Refinery29 and its impact can grow into those spaces, delivering on those promises with fresh content, tools, and discussion every day.
What Makes an R29er?
- You have a deep commitment and passion for the mission of R29 to motivate and inspire women through their own unique power, identity, and infinite potential. You have a deep knowledge and/or interest in women’s storytelling and reporting, as well as its distinct power to inform and drive conversation & change. You ignite possibility and solutions in even the most challenging moments, and you have an innate desire to strive for excellence and progress, through your daily work and your attitude.
About the job:
Part of Refinery29’s Wellness coverage consists of spirit and astrology. It’s one of the most popular sections of the entire website, and we’re looking for someone who eats, breathes and sleeps the zodiac, moon cycles and retrogrades. We’re also looking for someone who has an interest in religion and different cultures, in order to cover various holidays and religious celebrations in a nuanced and smart way. One day you might be covering Mercury, the next you might be writing a detailed description on what to expect at a traditional Indian wedding, and another week you might be reporting on why Christian women support abortion.
You’ll also organize and edit all of Refinery29’s weekly, monthly and special horoscopes from a freelancer. And, we encourage all of our writers to step outside of their comfort zones, and challenge themselves with timely and interesting features that aren’t necessarily their beat.
If all of the above interests you and you’re looking to join a dynamic and fast-paced team that’s passionate about women and equity for all, then this is your dream job.
If all of the above interests you and you’re looking to break into the fast-paced and ever-evolving health and wellness world, this is your dream job.
What you'll do:
- Write and/or build 2-4 stories per day
- Follow wellness and health industry news and trends, especially as they apply to millennial women and astrology
- Pitch and write to the news cycle as needed
- Work with SEO team to optimize content, update posts for search
- Problem solve in a fast-paced media environment
- Edit weekly, monthly and special horoscopes articles and slideshows from a freelancer
What you have:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Superior judgment and discretion
- Organized and ability to work on daily deadlines
To be successful here you are:
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, high volume team
- Someone who enjoys problem-solving in an ever-changing environment
- Inspired to push boundaries and be a thought leader
Note: Applications without a cover letter will not be considered for the role.