Refinery29 is the leading media and entertainment company focused on women with a global audience footprint of 249 million across all platforms. Through a variety of lifestyle stories, original video programming, social, shareable content, and live experiences, Refinery29 provides its audience with the inspiration and tools to discover and pursue a more independent, stylish, and informed life. Please visit www.refinery29.com, www.refinery29.com/en-ca, www.refinery29.uk, www.refinery29.de and www.refinery29.com/fr-fr for more information and to browse content.
About the team:
We create all written content for the website, from long-form articles and programs to service and slideshows. We're composed of six categories — Health + Wellness, Living, Entertainment, News, Work & Money, Fashion, and Beauty — and we help shape and guide how Refinery29 and its impact can grow into those spaces, delivering on those promises with fresh content, tools, and discussion every day.
What Makes an R29er?
- You have a deep commitment and passion for the mission of R29 to motivate and inspire women through their own unique power, identity, and infinite potential. You have deep knowledge and/or interest in women’s storytelling and reporting, as well as its distinct power to inform and drive conversation & change. You ignite possibility and solutions in even the most challenging moments, and you have an innate desire to strive for excellence and progress, through your daily work and your attitude.
About the role:
Do you obsessively read Money Diaries? Do your friends rely on you for career advice? Do you have your ear to the ground on what millennial women are really saying about when it comes to their money and their jobs? Are you curious about what goes on at offices? Or the nitty gritty of how some people save 30% of their income? If you love talking about work and money topics — and understand the importance of speaking to young women about these issues — then we want to hear from you!
What you'll do:
- Writing 2 stories per day that go beyond the bland, pink, overly simplified personal finance and career advice for millennial women. What are women really talking about when it comes to their work and money, and how can we give them the tools (not the rules) to define success on their own terms? Money, ambition, career, and definitions of success are all still taboo, and we want to continue to challenge that.
- Following career industry news and trends, especially as they apply to millennial women, and pitch to the news cycle as needed
- Working with SEO team to optimize content
- Problem solve in a fast-paced media environment
- Have and build networks to report on the most pressing Work & Money issues for young women
- Work closely with Work & Money director and senior editor to grow the vertical
- Write second-day opinion pieces on trending Work & Money news
What you have:
- An obsession with talking about personal finance and careers and why ambition is still considered taboo
- Positive, intuitive/proactive, and collaborative team player that is willing to throw out
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Superior judgement and discretion
- Organized and ability to work on daily deadlines
To be successful here you are:
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, high volume team
- Someone who enjoys problem-solving in an ever-changing environment
- Inspired to push boundaries and be a thought leader
Note: Applications without a cover letter will not be considered for the role.
Refinery29 is firmly committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital or veteran status, or physical or mental disability.