Refinery29 is the leading media and entertainment company focused on women with a global audience footprint of 249 million across all platforms. Through a variety of lifestyle stories, original video programming, social, shareable content, and live experiences, Refinery29 provides its audience with the inspiration and tools to discover and pursue a more independent, stylish, and informed life. Please visit www.refinery29.com, www.refinery29.com/en-ca, www.refinery29.uk, www.refinery29.de and www.refinery29.com/fr-fr for more information and to browse content.
About the Role:
The Creative Director is a highly creative, hyper collaborative team player who draws out the best ideas and oversees top-notch execution on behalf of our clients. The CD is responsible for leading multi-disciplinary teams to draw out big 360 thinking and can successfully collaborate across departments to get the best work out of people. An excellent storyteller and presenter, the CD is able to expertly articulate concepts succinctly and compellingly.
You have a multi-faceted conceptual, strategic and visual background, which you’ll use to understand and evolve the Refinery29 Brand Vision and ideate everything from physical experiences to digital products. You have experience in managing teams and understand just how important your role not only as a Creative is, but also as a true leader and mentor for your team. You have worked diplomatically across many teams within the same organization, understand how to navigate company ecosystems, and know how to establish meaningful and fruitful working relationships with other teams. And lastly -- you are a ball of positive, insightful energy with the uncanny ability to influence your team into having that same outlook at work.
The CD will lead innovative programming, spearheading big ideas and engaging content for our brand partners, with the goal of driving revenue, quality and performance. You will be tasked to help elevate our 360 ideation capabilities for our branded content while pushing creatives to provide off-platform solutions for partners.
This individual needs to thrive in a fast-paced environment, ideate quickly and solve problems in an innovative way. This role will work closely with the Group Creative Director to ensure our branded content is brand-defining and high-performing.
What Makes a R29er?
- You have a deep commitment and passion for the mission of R29 to motivate and inspire women through their own unique power, identity, and infinite potential. You have a deep knowledge and/or interest in women’s storytelling and reporting, as well as its distinct power to inform and drive conversation & change. You ignite possibility and solutions in even the most challenging moments, and you have an innate desire to strive for excellence and progress, through your daily work and your attitude.
What you’ll accomplish here:
- Lead ideation and pitching of large-scale, multi-platform/multi-medium concepts for brands
- Successfully lead, mentor, and manage creative and multidisciplinary teams bringing out the best ideas and fostering teamwork. This includes scouting and attracting the best talent to build our team.
- Foster a thriving, inspirational, and immensely creative work environment for the team, including workshops, team meetings, creative field trips and knowledge-sharing.
- Lead execution on multidisciplinary projects with an eye on unity across mediums and industry leading levels of aesthetic excellence & storytelling
- Create meaningful relationships with R29 client brands
- Understand and execute against the R29 brand & business vision, creating projects that deliver for R29 clients, brand, and audience
- Partner with leaders across the organization to develop strong collaboration and process
- Create impact for R29 in the industry as a leader in branded content
What you’ll do:
- Inspire the Commercial Creative Group to have a unified focus delivering breakthrough creative partnerships and programming
- In projects, lead and mentor a team of branded content creatives to elevate creative thinking and ideas
- Ability to pitch 360 concepts to clients that can translate to video, content, social and beyond across our key verticals (Fashion, Beauty, Lifestyle)
- Work with cross-functional teams (Sales, Marketing, Editorial, Photo, Design, Brand Strategy, Video, Experiential) to ideate innovative, integrated marketing platforms, rooted in strategic insights, to ultimately deliver on larger big ideas that drive incremental revenue for R29
- Execute and manage branded content for multiple platforms from idea to campaign deliverables
- Elevate, refine and challenge the quality of our concept work and visual output
- Lead internal brainstorms and collaborate cross-functionally with other creative stakeholders
- Possess a true understanding of how to craft and execute compelling storytelling through branded content for our brand partners, delivering on their business objectives while finding creative solutions for their biggest brand challenges
- Maintain and foster strong client relationships, improve client experience across whole creative process by working with stakeholders (pre and post)
- Drive editorial best practices for custom content creation and development.
What you have:
- Experience in digital advertising and marketing creating custom campaigns
- Must have a proven track record of impacting brands through creative concepts while having a passion for content
- Top performance record and client facing experience
- Direct experience with creative channel strategy in digital media
- Deep understanding of the rapidly evolving digital media environment including emerging market trends, platforms, and experiences (Design, Branding, Product Design, Photo etc are a plus)
- Strong creative leadership and management experience overseeing team ranging in skill-set and career level
- Established relationships with creatives throughout the creative/advertising industry
- Knowledge of and familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud Products (Photoshop etc) (Keynote and Powerpoint are a plus)