Refinery29 is the leading media and entertainment company focused on women with a global audience footprint of 249 million across all platforms. Through a variety of lifestyle stories, original video programming, social, shareable content, and live experiences, Refinery29 provides its audience with the inspiration and tools to discover and pursue a more independent, stylish, and informed life. Please visit www.refinery29.com, www.refinery29.com/en-ca, www.refinery29.uk, www.refinery29.de and www.refinery29.com/fr-fr for more information and to browse content.
What Makes an R29er?
You have a deep commitment and passion for the mission of R29 to motivate and inspire women through their own unique power, identity, and infinite potential. You have a deep knowledge and/or interest in women’s storytelling and reporting, as well as its distinct power to inform and drive conversation & change. You ignite possibility and solutions in even the most challenging moments, and you have an innate desire to strive for excellence and progress, through your daily work and your attitude.
About the team:
We create original written content for the Canadian edition of Refinery29, everything from long-form articles to packages to service and slideshows. We're composed of six categories — Health + Wellness, Living, Entertainment, News, Fashion, and Beauty — and we help shape and guide how Refinery29 and its impact can grow into those spaces, delivering on those promises with fresh content, tools, and discussion every day.
About the job:
Refinery29 is looking for a smart, savvy Deputy Editor to join the Canadian editorial team. You are bright, curious, and dedicated to delivering quality storytelling that gets people talking — think: cultural commentary, unconventional styling tips, sourcing what’s NEXT from influencers and Instagram, all delivered with solid reporting and a sense of humour. You are optimistic, driven, and are a generous collaborator, always eager to make a story stronger and more impactful. You embrace change and are passionate about growing Refinery29’s reach in Canada.
What you'll do: (D2D Responsibilities)
- Reporting to the Executive Editor, you’ll conceptualize, pitch, and execute forward-thinking and disruptive feature and service stories that ensure R29’s voice is created for a Canadian audience
- Assign and edit stories written by our staff writer as well as freelance contributors, and contribute your own writing to R29
- Help expand our network of freelance writers and thought-leaders, working with the best talent in Canada
- Ensure that all Refinery29 content is non-judgmental, and is constantly committing to pushing the realms of inclusivity
- Collaborate with New York editorial team to create compelling content across editions
- Program Canadian newsletter, and work with media partners to showcase Refinery29’s content
- Work with the Executive Editor to ensure the team meets monthly production, traffic, and content goals
What you have:
- Bachelor's Degree
- Experience at a publication or digital media company
- A positive, intuitive/proactive, and collaborative mindset that wants to push content to the next-level
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Superior judgement and discretion
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Keynote, Google Calendar
To be successful here you are:
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, high-volume team
- Someone who enjoys problem-solving in an ever-changing environment
- Inspired to push boundaries and be a leader