Refinery29 is the leading digital media and entertainment company focused on women with a global audience footprint of 550 million across all platforms. Our mission is to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, and claim their power by providing optimistic and diverse creativity, storytelling, and points of view. We deliver style and substance to an audience that's highly engaged across a variety of devices and destinations, from the original video and editorial features, to live experiences and social storytelling. Please visit www.refinery29.com, www.refinery29.uk, and www.refinery29.de for more information and to browse content.
About the role:
The SVP of Experiential will be responsible for leading the expansion of our experiential business by defining a vision, evolving ways of working, team culture and cost model to drive scale, innovation, and award-winning creative experiences. The focus will be on expanding our 29Rooms experience as well as overseeing ideation thru execution on all co-branded events. The SVP of Experiential reports to the Chief Content Officer and partners closely with the Executive Creative Director to ensure that all experiential experiences are thoughtfully conceptualized and executed.
What Makes an R29er?
You have commitment and passion for the mission of R29 to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, and claim their power and realize their infinite potential. You are a magic maker who sees possibility and turns dreams into reality. You are a collaborative, solutions-oriented thinker who understands and appreciates a safe space where conflicting points of view are debated openly and constructively.
What you'll do:
Strategy, Growth, and Leadership
- Identify and implement strategic vision to scale experiential business and develop new experiential revenue and partner opportunities
- Collaborate with revenue, creative and press executives to ensure priorities are aligned and goals are met
- Ensure we create events that align with our brand and mission, driving true value across a range of metrics (i.e press, social reach, consumer engagement, revenue, client buzz)
- Ensure that all events have clear goals and vision to fuel creative direction and flawless execution
- Enhance and develop client relationships and generate new, productive leads
- Be a visionary leader with the ability to build and empower top performing talent and teams
- Guide department growth by streamlining and developing new procedures/best practices to improve efficiency and creative process
- Lead and motivate the department including fostering cohesion as well as individual development with an emphasis on strong communication and transparency
Production and Process
- Fiscally responsible with success overseeing large budgets and costs in detail, managing profitability and margins
- Adept at managing large-scale productions ($5M+)
- Ensure team members track budgets, remain on budget and communicate risks in real time
- Help reinvent the process in which we concept, develop, pitch and package event offerings more
- Drive a collaborative system and way of working between creative, strategy and production both within the team and across departments
- Vast knowledge of event management and production needs; Able to both negotiate with and manage vendor partners
- Create a robust list of strategic vendors and partners to drive cost efficiencies and deepen partnerships
- Play exec sponsor role on tentpole projects, providing leadership and support to produce the most successful events that meet goals and expectations
- Ensure a strong organizational structure, and implement processes and systems to increase productivity.
- Oversee the Creative Leadership team that develops a long-term vision for the brand across varying mediums, leading major marketing initiatives, focusing on the core business issues, defining challenges and goals, and setting strategic direction to accomplish immediate and long-range objectives
- Develop trusted, relied-upon relationships with creative leadership team and partner with them in the creative development process.
- Responsible for the experiential team in regards to creative execution, ideation, and hitting revenue goals for experiential as well as ensuring we stay on budget, margin, and are retaining clients. Responsible for growing our experiential business
What you have:
- 10+ years of relevant experience, agency experience preferred
- Proven track record of delivering measurable success for an events business, inclusive of managing budgets (+$5M) and profitability, revenue growth and winning creative
- Must have a range of existing production vendor relationships and have a finger on the pulse of relevant industry talent
- The ability to be an example of positive change: experimenting to improve on ideas, concepts, and processes to make creative work stronger.
- Ability to craft an opportunity to its highest potential, regardless of budget, with a dedication to excellence.
- Strong management experience overseeing team ranging in skill-set and career level
- Hiring, management, and mentorship experience. You can develop and nurture a team.
- Experience collaborating and managing up and down in an organization, developing strong relationships.
To be successful here you are:
- Passionate about our mission.
- A strategic thinker with the ability to execute on the big picture
- A skilled people leader, passionate about growing and nurturing talent
- A leader who appreciates the power of diversity and practices empathy and respect for others
- Agile, comfortable working in a fast-paced, high volume environment
- A problem-solver who sets an example of positive change
- Inspired to push boundaries and take work to its highest potential
- Able to collaborate across different departments and workflows, building relationships
- Someone who inspires, educates, and empowers others to feel see and claim their power