Refinery29 is the leading digital media and entertainment company focused on women with a global audience footprint of 550 million across all platforms. Our mission is to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, and claim their power by providing optimistic and diverse creativity, storytelling, and points of view. We deliver style and substance to an audience that's highly engaged across a variety of devices and destinations, from the original video and editorial features, to live experiences and social storytelling. Please visit www.refinery29.com, www.refinery29.uk, and www.refinery29.de for more information and to browse content.
About the Role:
The Creative Director, Experiential, is a highly creative, hyper-collaborative team player who draws out the best ideas and oversees top-notch execution in environmental design, production, and tech on behalf of our clients in our ever-expanding Experiential Department. The Experiential CD is responsible for leading multi-disciplinary teams in assigned event-driven campaigns to draw out big 360 thinking and can successfully collaborate across departments to get the best work out of people. An excellent storyteller and presenter, the CD is able to expertly articulate concepts succinctly and compellingly.
This role will predominantly focus of Refinery29’s 29Rooms, our funhouse of style, culture, and technology, bringing to life the voices, issues, and topics of Refinery29, working in close collaboration with our current Experiential Creative Director.
You have a multi-faceted conceptual, strategic, and theatrical background, which you’ll use to understand and evolve the Refinery29 Brand Vision and ideate physical experiences, live performances and integrate digital products. You have experience in managing teams, collaborating with designers in scenic, lighting, tech, costumes, sound, and talent, as well as producers and technical directors and innovators, and understand just how important your role not only as a Creative is, but also as a true leader and mentor for your direct reports. You have worked diplomatically across many teams within the same organization, understand how to navigate company ecosystems, and know how to establish meaningful and fruitful working relationships with other teams. And lastly -- you are a ball of positive, insightful energy with the uncanny ability to influence your team into having that same outlook at work.
The Creative Director, Experiential will lead innovative programming, spearheading big ideas and engaging content for our brand partners, with the goal of driving revenue, audience, quality, and performance. You will be tasked to help elevate our 360 ideation capabilities for our branded content while pushing creatives to provide off-platform solutions for partners, with a focus on IRL to URL and back.
This individual needs to thrive in a fast-paced environment, ideate quickly and solve problems in an innovative way. This role will work closely with the Creative Director of the Experiential Department, the Chief Creative Director and the VP, Experiential to ensure our branded content is brand-defining, high-performing and sets the mark in event quality and innovation.
What Makes an R29er?
- You have commitment and passion for the mission of R29 to be a catalyst for women to feel, see, and claim their power and realize their infinite potential. You are a magic maker who sees possibility and turns dreams into reality.
What you’ll accomplish here:
- Lead ideation of large-scale, multi-platform/multi-media experiential for brands
- Successfully lead, mentor, and manage creative and experiential reports working on tentpole branded projects and on projects you creative direct, bringing out the best ideas and fostering teamwork. This includes scouting and attracting the best talent to build our team as needed.
- Foster a thriving, inspirational, and immensely creative work environment, including team meetings, creative field trips and knowledge-sharing.
- Lead execution of multidisciplinary projects for clients with an eye on unity across mediums and industry-leading levels of aesthetic excellence & storytelling. Industries include Fashion, Beauty, Retail, Auto, Tech, Entertainment, Financial, CPG and more.
- Create meaningful relationships with R29 client brands and partners
- Understand and execute the R29 brand & business vision, creating projects that deliver for R29 clients, brand, and audience, including audience building and content synergy at events.
What you’ll do:
- Oversee, inspire and manage Creative Direction, Experiential on projects and across campaigns to have a unified focus delivering breakthrough creative partnerships and programming
- Elevate, refine and challenge the quality of our concept work, visual output and programming
- Serve in the experiential role to work with cross-functional teams to ideate innovative, integrated marketing platforms, rooted in strategic insights, to ultimately deliver on larger big ideas that drive incremental revenue for R29
- Ability to pitch 360 experiential concepts to clients that could integrate video, content, social, photo and beyond across our key verticals (Fashion, Beauty, Lifestyle)
- Lead internal brainstorms on assigned projects, collaborate cross-functionally with other creative stakeholders.
- Execute and manage branded content for multiple platforms from idea to campaign deliverables with a focus on feasibility, logistics and budget continuity
- When appropriate, maintain status as on camera talent to aid profile for selling
- Possess a true understanding of how to craft and execute compelling storytelling through branded content for our brand partners, delivering on their business objectives while finding creative solutions for their biggest brand challenges
- Collaborate with editorial, marketing, video, experiential, design, photo, sales, account management, PM, brand strategy and brand experiences to drive custom content campaigns, processes and workflows to success
- Maintain and foster strong client relationships, improve client experience across whole creative process by working with stakeholders (pre and post)
- Potentially lead, manage and mentor a team of branded content creatives to elevate creative thinking and ideas
- Serve as a guide and partner in production, tech and environmental to advise on materials, equipment and timelines for seamless internal department project development and build outs
What you have:
- 8 + years of experience in experiential marketing and live large-scale events, with credits in theatrical, live music, runway, original tech innovation, multimedia, hybrid art, performance forms and multi-format video installations
- Script writing for stage and video, as well as stage direction and Run of Show development credits
- Experience overseeing creative on consumer audience event marketing plans with contributions in verticals and tactics
- Experience in working with emerging to A list level talent
- Credits at large scale festivals, runway events, tours,
- A deep awareness of performance and installation trends, artistry and technology to create original concepts from the ground up
- Must have a proven track record of impacting brands through event creative projects while having a passion for content, all to drive revenue and build audience
- Top performance record and client facing experience
- Experience with channel strategy from a creative perspective is ideal and heavy experience in digital is a huge plus