Elastic is an open source search company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe. Learn more at elastic.co
We seek a leader for our Cloud Systems Engineering team, whose goal is to define and design the core infrastructure of Elastic Cloud, from the ground up. We take an engineering approach to solving operational problems, and utilize data to focus attention on issues of significance. We draw upon our operational experience to shorten feedback loops, connect all teams to production, and promote a culture of operational excellence. We are deep technologists. We enable the future growth of Elastic Cloud.
Who you are:
- You have outstanding interpersonal skills, and are able to build strong relationships across a dynamic, growing team
- You consider people management as core to your career, and value honing this skillset
- You have a holistic view of and true appreciation for systems engineering, borne of real-world experience operating production services
- You have a deep technical understanding of cloud systems and services
- You are equally comfortable discussing high-level strategy or deep technical details
What you’ll do:
In this role you will:
- Lead and mentor a globally distributed team of experienced Site Reliability Engineers and Software Engineers
- Foster a culture of mutual respect, collaboration, and operational excellence
- Own initiatives aimed at improving processes and systems related to OS and cloud instance validation, performance optimization, core network/VPC design
- Participate in a weekly on-call rotation, using a follow-the-sun model
What you’ve done:
You don't need to have all of these items, but these represent the types of work you will do at Elastic Cloud
- Led teams, in environments that value self-organization and collaboration
- Mentored, coached, and grown team members to bring out the best in them
- Owned roadmap and/or project planning in a tech-focused environment
- Operated a SaaS product in a public cloud (AWS, GCP, Azure, or SoftLayer preferred)
- Automated orchestration tasks at scale (we commonly use Python, Go, and Shell scripting)
- Used metrics systems (e.g. Elastic Stack, Graphite, Prometheus, Influx) effectively to diagnose issues and quantify impacts
- Diagnosed and resolved issues with the Elastic Stack
- Worked with containerized services
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please email email@example.com.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.