Elastic is an open source search company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe. Learn more at elastic.co
We're looking for a Senior Java Engineer to join the Elasticsearch - Analytics & Geo team. This globally-distributed team of 8 senior engineers focuses on the analytics and aggregations capabilities of Elasticsearch, as well as Geo-related functionality. The team is responsible for building new analytical capabilities, profiling and optimizing existing functionalities, analyzing runtime and edge-case behaviors of distributed algorithms, and innovating new ways to analyze data in Elasticsearch.
Our company is distributed by intention. We hire the best engineers we can find wherever they are, whoever they are. As a result, our team is diverse and distributed across continents. We collaborate every day over email, GitHub, Zoom, and Slack. The ability to lead a distributed team is critical.
At our best, we write fast, scalable and intuitive software. We believe that the best way to do that is to code review for every change, decide big things by consensus, and strive for incremental improvements. We believe the team should be aware of how our customers use our products and be empowered to make bold decisions.
You won’t always be the person with the answer or the person making the decisions, but you are expected to guide most of them. We need a person who has made critical decisions in the evolution of a big product and platform over multiple years and releases, and who can lead a team with a coherent vision while making appropriate compromises along the way.
What You Will Be Doing
- Design and implement new, fast, horizontally-scalable features and APIs in Elasticsearch and Apache Lucene. You'll propose technical approaches, discuss with the team and leadership, and have ownership of the features you work on.
- Balance feature development with management of technical debt, ensuring the quality of our code does not degrade over time.
- Collaborate with product management and other area leads across the company to align priorities and roadmaps; make appropriate technology choices and compromises, and help generate the team’s roadmap.
- Work with the community on bugs and performance issues and assist our support engineers with tougher customer issues.
What You Bring Along
- You are highly proficient in low-level Java, standard data structures and concurrency primitives.
- You have good knowledge of probability and statistics and experience writing algorithms to implement them on a distributed system.
- You have experience with Elasticsearch or another search technology, and understand the basics of indexing and querying documents.
- You have experience designing and writing distributed algorithms on a map-reduce style of system (Hadoop, custom code, etc.).
- You work with a high level of autonomy. The distributed nature of the company offers freedom to work when and how you see fit, but also requires team members to work independently, and reach out for help when stuck.
- You are meticulous at reviewing code, comfortable receiving feedback through PR reviews, and familiar with different styles of source control workflow and continuous integration.
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please email email@example.com.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.