Elastic is an open source search company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe. Learn more at elastic.co
About the team
The Cloud Billing team’s mission is to provide a simple, transparent and flexible SaaS billing experience based on the consumption of cloud resources and other Elastic services. The Elastic Cloud service is operated at planet scale - across all top 3 public cloud providers, in 50 plus regions across the world, hosting mission critical workloads for customers in every industry. The Billing team sits at the heart of Elastic’s business strategy, enabling the company to grow by developing capabilities like usage-based metering, consumption billing and marketplace integrations.
About the role
We are looking for an experienced software developer to help us make an immediate impact to our monetization strategy. You will be responsible for mission critical data infrastructure that collects usage metrics from thousands of distributed application containers across AWS, GCP and Azure services. You will learn how to meter and bill distributed applications using the Elastic Stack software. This role offers the opportunity to understand how our entire platform works, so you can do meter customers for what they consume.
Some of the things you'll work on:
- Work on a distributed system that collects metrics and feature usage data, transforms them, and persists them accurately in Elasticsearch.
- Add features to the backend services in Go and Scala that use Elasticsearch as a data store.
- Collaborate with other teams in Cloud Infrastructure to develop scalable, automated solutions that drive our SaaS business
- Be hands-on with the codebase. Review work done by your peers, and provide constructive feedback.
- Work on crafting a stable, scalable and reliable ingestion pipeline built using Elastic products to harvest usage data from multiple products.
- Use Elasticsearch and Kibana to aggregate data for billing and usage reporting purposes
- Grow and share your interest in technical outreach (blog posts, tech papers, conference speaking, etc.)
What you will bring along:
- You care deeply about the design and quality of the features you ship
- Passion for crafting simple, elegant solutions to complex distributed system challenges
- 10+ years experience as a software engineer, with a track record of delivering high-quality code.
- Experience with Go or Scala as a programming language
- Must have experience working with AWS/GCP/Azure (Anyone of these)
- Experience using Elasticsearch in your application is a plus
- Experience or interest in working on SaaS billing or metering systems is a huge plus
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to own and track projects which are critical to the business
- A self starter who has experience working across multiple technical teams and decision makers
- You love working with a diverse, worldwide team in a distributed work environment
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please email email@example.com.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.