At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world's data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what's possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. The Elastic family unites employees across 30+ countries into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
The Observability team is in charge of developing solutions that focus on application developers and engineers that run infrastructure and services supporting these applications. Elasticsearch is an efficient datastore for logs, metrics, and application traces, supporting the three pillars of observability. Our team builds and maintains solutions that make getting insights from this data efficient and turnkey, such as our APM, Metrics, Logs and Uptime solutions. When developing these solutions, we think about the problem end-to-end: how do we automatically collect data from common data sources, how do we store it efficiently in Elasticsearch, how do we present this information to the user, what actions do we take on the insights from the data? All of these aspects are important in bringing a turnkey solution to the market.
As a Team Lead, you will have the opportunity to lead a team of developers and work with Product Management and Technical Leadership to evolve our APM product. Your team will be responsible for developing the APM Application in Kibana that helps users monitor, investigate and understand bottlenecks in their applications. You will work with other teams at Elastic to ensure delivery of a comprehensive observability solution that leverages the power of the Elastic Stack like Elasticsearch and Machine Learning on-prem and in the cloud.
The team is diverse and distributed across the world, and collaborates on a daily basis over GitHub, Zoom, and Slack. Thus, the ability to work within a distributed team is essential. You don’t always need to be the person with the answer or the person making the decisions, but instead should be able to guide discussions to help the team make decisions together.
What you will be doing
- Manage, mentor and lead a globally distributed team of KIbana developers
- Lead the efficient delivery for time-boxed software releases, ensuring high quality and innovative feature development
- Work with our Product Management team to define requirements
- Foster a culture of mutual respect, collaboration and consensus-based decision-making
- Stay true to the principles of software development as adopted by our team
- Build roadmaps and lead prioritization; balance the right amount of structure and planning for a fast-paced engineering team
- Identify resource requirements and help drive recruitment of high quality colleagues
- Support the development and training of team members through regular performance evaluations
- Be an awesome person to work with, somebody who sincerely empathizes with others
What you will bring along
- Experience leading distributed teams of software engineers (people manager, tech lead)
- Significant experience as a hands-on software engineer so you understand the core principles of the engineering work that is going on in your team
- Experience with application performance monitoring
Additional information: We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
We're looking to hire team members invested in realizing the goal of making real-time data exploration easy and available to anyone. As a distributed company, we believe that diversity drives our vibe! Whether you're looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Double your charitable giving - we match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Global minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave (moms & dads)
- Generous vacation time and one week of volunteer time off
- Your age is only a number. It doesn't matter if you're just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Elasticsearch, Inc. (“Elastic”) which is located at 800 W. El Camino Real, Suite 350 Mountain View, CA 94040 USA, and can be contacted by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Elastic’s recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Elastic, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment. Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Elastic to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Elastic’s behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards under the standard contractual clauses. You can obtain a copy of the standard contractual clauses by contacting us at email@example.com. Elastic’s data protection officer is Felix Wittern, who can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org. We plan to keep your data until our open role is filled. We cannot estimate the exact time period, but we will consider this period ended when a candidate accepts our job offer for the position for which we are considering you. When that period is over, we may keep your data for an additional period no longer than 3 years in case additional opportunities present themselves in which your skills might be better suited. For additional details, please see our Elastic Privacy Statement.