About Redwood Materials
Staff Systems Design Engineer
We are seeking a Systems Design Engineer to assist in the development of our facilities and factories. This engineer will develop system models for the mechanical, thermal, and chemically reacting components of our systems and assist in system integration and execution. You’ll apply first-principles modeling techniques, likely implemented in custom software to develop plant scale models which can in turn be used to maximize system efficiencies, detect problems in the plant, and power soft sensors. The primary goal is to apply modeling techniques to design the most optimal factories in the world. To do so, you’ll collaborate cross-functionally with different stakeholders and design teams throughout the organization.
Responsibilities will include:
- Implementing complex system design models which integrate mechanical, thermal, chemical, and control theories of operation, likely in custom software.
- Integrate live data from the factory floor into such models and implement functionality to detect anomalies of failing equipment in the plant.
- Navigate a highly cross-functional landscape of engineers to gather requirements, and work with stakeholders to provide solutions as they are required.
- Provide modeling support to optimize plant efficiency.
- Apply knowledge of motors, pumps, sensors, actuators, and thermodynamic systems to accurately model plant behavior in custom software / Simulink / Matlab and/or other modeling tools.
- Provide high-level control strategy design, informed by simulation and data analytics.
- M.S. in Mechanical/Chemical/Electrical Engineering, Physics, or equivalent experience.
- At least seven years of experience in Systems Design Engineering and first-principles modeling, preferably involving multi-physics simulations.
- Working knowledge of Python and/or simulation software packages, and functional software engineering skills.
- Working knowledge of Simulink, Matlab, and/or FEA / CFD modeling tools.
- Strong understanding of mechanical, electrical, and thermodynamics first principles and fundamentals.
- Exposure to complex system design.
- Self-motivated, hands-on attitude, with a willingness to contribute at all levels.
- A passion for sustainability and making the world a better place!
The position is full-time. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
We collect personal information (PI) from you in connection with your application for employment with Redwood Materials, including the following categories of PI: identifiers, personal records, professional or employment information, and inferences drawn from your PI. We collect your PI for our purposes, including performing services and operations related to your potential employment. If you have additional privacy-related questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.