Senior Mechanical Engineer
at Red 6
Santa Monica, California / Engineering / Full-Time
Red’s 6 Mission
To build the best in-flight Augmented Reality flight training system in the world, and to create the most effective combat pilots on the planet.
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer at Red 6, you will set the architectural direction of the design, do the detailed CAD work, follow parts through manufacturing, and assemble units for evaluation. This requires an understanding of the interdisciplinary needs of the various teams you will be interacting with. The work will include translating high-level requests and communication into actionable hardware direction, working with key stakeholders to ensure agreement on the proposed solution and generating the necessary documentation to facilitate implementation, such as BOMs, assembly instruction, schedules, and issue trackers.
- Lead Mechanical Engineering activities in cross-functional team environment.
- Lead the display module mechanical design including 3D model generation and MCO definition with product development team, including touch and/or optical subcomponents.
- Author display module mechanical drawings and spec, review and approve vendor design proposals.
- Gather and develop component level design requirements and specifications with stakeholders across all disciplines.
- Perform R&D to determine the optimal technology within product cost restraints.
- Provide system-level design for products in development. Work with leads across disciplines to identify guidelines and requirements for system level component specifications.
- Apply engineering and tolerance techniques to high precision design requirements in the areas such as Optics, Mechanics, and Motion Control.
- Lead and hold engineering design reviews.
- Lead and drive design improvements to address reliability/usability issues as reported by customers.
- Collaborate, mentor, lead teammates and peers across disciplines to deliver new products.
- Take prototypes to increasing levels of fidelity, and work with the product focused engineers to translate early prototypes into potential product directions.
- Work with the Project Management team to create product schedules and manage the design development accordingly.
- Simulation, modeling, design and test project development.
- Troubleshooting board issues and implementing tests at system level
- Power management and implementing low power systems.
- Provide technical guidance to other team members in issue resolution and product development.
- Development test plan creation to ensure compliance with applicable industry standards.
- System and sub-system design, modeling, and prototyping.
- Structural analysis with hand calculation and FEA analysis.
- Design for manufacturing and production.
- Production drawings applying and interpreting Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Provide status reports and support documentation.
- Conduct advanced material and processing techniques for cross-disciplinary mechanical, optical, electrical system components.
- 8+ Years of HANDS ON architecting mechanical systems.
- 5+ years of product design/prototyping experience, with a combination of focus in areas of precision mechanisms, electro-mechanical systems, and optics, including full system ownership.
- 5+ years of experience in a hands-on Engineering/Design role in a multi-disciplinary team with experience in consumer electronics and product development, having collaborated with Industrial Design, Engineering and Research teams to identify and solve complex design and UX challenges.
- Strong DFM/DFA skills, with emphasis on part/assembly tolerance management, to ensure robust designs for low volume manufacturing.
- Knowledge of various manufacturing methods and rapid prototyping processes.
- Experience in microelectronics design, thermal design, and fabrication. Understanding of module level trade-offs between mechanical, optical and electrical performance.
- Experienced in generating mechanical test procedure of display panel and display module.
- Experience with PCB/PCBA flex circuit mechanical integration.
- Experience preserving Industrial Design artistic intent in mechanical design implementation.
- Experience with designing for high levels of dust/water ingress protection.
- Knowledgeable in design of plastic injection molded part designs, electro-mechanical integration, adhesive bonded joints, metal stamped parts designs, die-cast part designs, and machined part designs.
- Hands-on experience and knowledge of prototype development processes, including any/all of the following: rapid prototyping, 3D printing, CNC machining, molding, casting, electrical prototyping, electromechanical integration and working models with rigorous cosmetic and aesthetic requirements, production-level finishes.
- CAD experience: complex mechanical systems, electrical assemblies, surfacing. Solidworks is preferred.
- Integrate PCBs and electrical assemblies into mechanical systems.
Preferred / Additional Skills
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Experience with landed innovative technologies in successful consumer electronics products. R&D experience in early conceptual stages.
- Experience with battery construction, printed circuit board assembly, flexible printed circuit design rules, interconnects, thermal requirements, electromagnetic interference, electrostatic discharge, and radio frequency principles.
- Familiar with optical principles (lenses, mirrors, optical coatings, and light properties).
- Tolerancing techniques and design requirements in optics, opto-mechanics, and motion control mechanisms.
- AR/VR products and technologies.
- Optical systems.
- DFA, DFM (Plastic Injection Molding, Casting, MIM, Machining, etc.).
- FEA, CFD, etc.
- Be able to obtain and hold a U.S. security clearance at the TS/SCI level.
Augmented Reality / Hardware / Integration Technology Department:
The Hardware Technology team at Red 6 engineers high performing and highly advanced augmented reality platforms and infrastructure, which support our military partners’ training and operations.
The goal of the Research department is to understand and develop how the multiverse works. Embedded within the Research department is a talented team that builds the tools that allow us to conduct R&D with a unique understanding of bleeding edge technologies. These tools tackle problems from data ingestion and storage, to data visualization and advanced communications networks. In order to achieve this goal, we require a first-rate development ecosystem. As such, we’re investing in building an AR-specific engineering team.
Red 6 reserves the right to change its current benefits program at any time, in a manner that is consistent with applicable federal and state regulations
This job description is not a contract and confers no contractual rights, privileges, or benefits on any applicant or potential applicant. Red 6 has the right to change any and all terms of this job description, including, but not limited to, job responsibilities, qualifications and benefits. Nothing in this job description constitutes an offer or guarantee of employment.
Red Six Aerospace, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), Red 6 Aerospace, Inc. operating company you are applying to work for (hereinafter, “we”, “our”, or “us”) may collect personal information and use it for certain business purposes as described below in this Job Applicant and Employee Privacy Notice. We are required to disclose the following information to California “consumers” regarding our collection of their personal information. Under the CCPA, “consumers” means California residents, including job applicants, employees, or contractors of a business.