Redesign Health is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer – we recruit, train, compensate and promote our team members based on qualifications. We know how important it is not only to include, but to actively seek out a diversity of opinions and voices.
We want to hear from you regardless of your race, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Redesign Health is a company that powers innovation in healthcare. We develop technologies, tools, and insights that lower the barriers to change in healthcare, and provide a platform that enables founders and the broader healthcare ecosystem to build high-quality health solutions at scale. We have powered the launch of 28 companies to-date including Lively, Ever/Body, Calibrate, Vault Health, Springtide, HealthQuarters, Proper, Anomaly, Jasper, MedArrive, Intrinsic, UpLift, Kins, Keen, Overalls, and stealth ventures in health equity, kidney care, women’s health, complementary medicine, and many more. We’re on a mission to redesign health for everyone.
As a Senior Back-End Engineer on our Platform & Data team, you will work within a team that is responsible for bringing to life the platform and products that power the next generation of healthcare innovation. You will be core to a small but quickly growing agile team and will have a chance to directly impact the product’s direction with creative solutions to a wide range of problems. Your mission will be to stand up an impactful product from scratch and be a part of the initial platform/data engineering team. You will have immense scope and influence over the direction of the technical architecture, and you will see your work impact users quickly.
In this role, you will play an active part in designing and executing the entire lifecycle for the product - from development, to deployment, to scaling. The ideal candidate has a proven track record of getting their hands dirty and enjoys taking concepts from prototype all the way to user-pleasing products.
You will report to and work with the Head of Data Science. The position can be fully remote within the United States or based out of our New York City headquarters.
What you'll do:
- Work cross-functionally to define the value of the product
- Work within a cross-disciplinary team of Engineers, Designers, Product Managers, and Data Scientists in using a vast array of cutting-edge technologies to drive product innovation
- Iterate closely with Product and Design in order to understand the most important value drivers for the product
- Reduce product specifications and user needs into sound architectural engineering systems
- Implement an architecture to deliver that value
- Build the connection that delivers machine learning driven insights from our data to the front-end interface
- Implement scalable, secure, and performant Python-based back-end APIs that are capable of matching the scaling and performance demands of our product
- Take part in designing, developing, and testing all major software and systems components of our system working within an agile team
- Help grow our team
- Help hire and onboard engineers into our growing team
- Mentor more junior members of the team and instill a culture of best practices into our engineering
What you'll need:
- 5+ years of experience developing back-end or full-stack web applications using modern frameworks in Python
- Experience creating and integrating RESTful APIs, ideally with Django or Flask
- Experience going through the full software lifecycle development process using agile methodologies and practices with source control (e.g. git) and issue tracking software (e.g. Jira)
- Experience working on large-scale, data intensive applications, using SQL and NoSQL, data modeling, message queues and distributed systems, ideally with PostgreSQL, Snowflake or decoupled architectures like Athena or Presto paired with structured data files in S3 or HDFS
- Experience implementing secure, customer facing web applications
- Excited to take a product and architecture from 0 to 1
- Demonstrated desire and ability to quickly learn new technologies
- Comfort and excitement within a small team and company
- Ability to interact with stakeholders from multiple functional areas
- Must be self-directed and able to reduce uncertainty to concrete deliverables
- Technical Skills
- Ability to build a 0-1 product successfully
- Ability to design and implement a large-scale back-end system
- Ability to implement algorithms in Python
- Ability to understand how to efficiently transfer data from a centralized service to users
- Ability to talk through potential short-comings in the fast approach (relative to scale, performance, error handling, security, etc.) and how they would be solved more generally
- Behavioral Skills
- Manages Ambiguity. Deals comfortably with the uncertainty of change. Effectively handles risk. Can decide and act without having the total picture. Is calm, and productive, even when things are up in the air. Deals constructively with problems that do not have clear solutions or outcomes. Operating effectively, even when things are not certain of the way forward is unclear.
- Action Oriented. Readily takes action on challenges, without unnecessary planning. Identifies and seizes new opportunities. Displays a can-do attitude in good and bad times. Steps up to handle tough issues. Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy and enthusiasm.
You will work out of one of the following locations:
- In-office: New York, NY
- Remote: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
What Redesign is all about
Redesign’s mission is to elevate healthcare companies that empower people to live their healthiest lives. To give a sense of what our team is all about, these are the values that guide our work:
- Redesign healthcare - We bring positive change to patients’ lives
- Own the outcome - We do the work to get the job done
- Be trusted partners - We strive to be the teammates and co-founders of choice
- Champion diverse perspectives - We work to unlock our joint potential
- Practice kindness - We aim to build bridges, not walls
- Learn continuously - We focus on constantly growing as individuals and as a team
Why work with us?
We care deeply about your well-being. And we’ve tailored our unique benefits around your wellness. Check out our full range of benefits here, and a few of our highlighted benefits below:
- Benefits for your physical wellness:
- Full medical, dental, and vision coverage with no monthly contribution for you and your dependents (for all of our plans!)
- Quarterly in-home house cleaning
- $50 a month wellness stipend
- Benefits for your financial wellness:
- 401K match
- Student loan repayment contribution
- Tax preparation services
- Benefits for your mental wellness:
- Unlimited PTO
- An annual 2-week company-wide winter break
- 2 months sabbatical after 4 years
- Reimbursements to Spotify & Headspace
- Benefits for the wellness of parents:
- 16 week full paid parental leave
- Maven Clinic access with $10k lifetime contributions to fertility & adoption services
- Diaper subscription service & summer camp reimbursement program