Reddit is a community of communities where people can dive into anything through experiences built around their interests, hobbies, and passions. Our mission is to bring community, belonging, and empowerment to everyone in the world. Reddit users submit, vote, and comment on content, stories, and discussions about the topics they care about the most. From pets to parenting, there’s a community for everybody on Reddit and with over 50 million daily active users, it is home to the most open and authentic conversations on the internet. For more information, visit redditinc.com.
The Core Experience team’s mission lies at the core of Reddit's success as a platform: we build features that encourage engagement and belonging, enabling better user experiences with rich content and video, enabling smooth and effective content consumption with ML and personalized experiences. We create tools for our moderators to nurture and grow their communities and for all Reddit users to feel safe as they contribute. This team drives several core product metrics for the entire Reddit ecosystem.
As a Senior Engineering Manager you will be responsible for leading your team to deliver high quality software that enables the best possible experiences for our users as you help communities on Reddit evolve and grow. This is a high impact role where you will be involved in technical & product strategy, operations, architecture, and execution for one of the largest sites in the world.
How You’ll have an Impact:
You will partner with a multitude of stakeholders to understand Reddit’s core experiences across all of our product lines and will guide the design and development of experiences that let users get the most out of Reddit. You will be a key driver of the vision, owning and driving the product and technical roadmaps for your team. You will drive a culture of technical excellence ensuring the right bets are taken with the highest quality.
You will be accountable for building, growing, and mentoring a world-class team of engineers to help Reddit reach its goal of bringing community and belonging to everyone. The Senior Manager of Engineering should be passionate about an environment where technology is the key value driver for the business while partnering closely with diverse stakeholders. The right individual will be experienced in scaling large technology teams and creating and delivering a great experience across a broad user base.
This individual will be a key driver in the planning, development, and implementation of Reddit’s composite service architecture, and technology stack on the various platforms including desktop, mobile, and native applications (iOS and Android).
What you’ll do
- Build, hire and lead a high-caliber team of product engineers and mobile developers.
- Work cross-functionally with product, design, and other engineering managers to plan product and business strategy, and to build novel products and features that our half-billion users will love.
- Participate in the full development cycle: design, development, test, experimentation, analysis, and launch. You’ll be reviewing code and design docs, giving feedback on product specs and mocks, and generally helping out wherever is needed.
- Coach and mentor engineers on the team to further their professional development.
- Set and enable a culture of metrics led execution, with efficient processes and strong levels of transparency.
What we’re looking for
- 3+ years building and managing high performing engineering teams.
- 4+ years of experience as a software engineer developing user-facing applications at scale
- Fluency with dealing with product analytics, forecasting and exposure to tools like GA, BigQuery etc.
- Software development experience in one or more general purpose programming languages; Python, Go, Rust, Java, C++
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to prioritize tasks and keep projects on schedule.
- BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience.
- Strong focus on user experience and usability. You are an undying advocate for the user, and you have a deep intuition for how people think and how they interact with software. Experience with social or e-commerce is a huge plus.
- Entrepreneurial spirit. You must be self-directed, innovative, and biased towards action. You live to build new things and thrive in ambiguity.
- Excellent communication skills. You must be able to collaborate with teams in a fully remote environment, and discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Comprehensive Health benefits
- 401k Matching
- Workspace benefits for your home office
- Personal & Professional development funds
- Family Planning Support
- Flexible Vacation & Reddit Global Days Off
- 4+ months paid Parental Leave
- Paid Volunteer time off
This job posting may span more than one career level.
In addition to base salary, this job is eligible to receive equity in the form of restricted stock units, and depending on the position offered, it may also be eligible to receive a commission. Additionally, Reddit offers a wide range of benefits to U.S.-based employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) program with employer match, generous time off for vacation, and parental leave. To learn more, please visit https://www.redditinc.com/careers/.
To provide greater transparency to candidates, we share base pay ranges for all US-based job postings regardless of state. We set standard base pay ranges for all roles based on function, level, and country location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including, skills, depth of work experience and relevant licenses/credentials, and may vary from the amounts listed below.
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at ApplicationAssistance@Reddit.com.