Reddit is a community of communities where people can dive into anything through experiences built around their interests, hobbies, and passions. Our mission is to bring community, belonging, and empowerment to everyone in the world. Reddit users submit, vote, and comment on content, stories, and discussions about the topics they care about the most. From pets to parenting, there’s a community for everybody on Reddit and with over 50 million daily active users, it is home to the most open and authentic conversations on the internet. For more information, visit redditinc.com.
The Infrastructure organization has the mission of building and delivering common software, frameworks, and constructs for the rest of Reddit. Reddit has a complex production serving environment consisting of AWS, GCP, and many other managed services.
The Infrastructure organization is looking to hire a backend software engineer to work collaboratively on a team dedicated to operating, building and growing the critical Storage infrastructure that served as the backbone of the entire Reddit. Every byte Reddit users read comes from this Storage layer and every byte users write into Reddit ends up at this Storage layer. The team covers a wide spectrum of Storage technologies, including the Caching layer (e.g., Redis, Memcache), and the persistence layer (e.g., Relational Databases, KV Stores).
This is a high impact role where you will contribute to design, implementation, and operations for the aforementioned Storage infrastructure.
You will work closely with other infrastructure teams, Developer Experience, Observability, Compute, Transport and dozens of product teams, such as the ML infra team, that appreciate being able to run large-scale software securely, reliably, efficiently, and scalably.
The position is a mix of software engineering and cloud engineering; a lot of the time, we are writing software to implement important workflows that automate the operation of our vast production infrastructure.
We also work with our product teams to make the underlying Storage technologies work better for Reddit’s main workloads, including defining and improving the application’s data models and data access patterns, and lots of times, this also involves data-driven analysis and tuning of the Storage stack to make step function improvements to the end-to-end data path. There is a substantial amount of troubleshooting and analysis to understand the real problems we face as we scale, and our customer’s workloads change.
A successful candidate will;
- Work collaboratively with a team of software engineers and systems engineers to create and maintain the foundational platform for running Reddit’s infrastructure.
- Develop reliable and efficient workflows to automate a large number of operational tasks that are essential to operating the critical Storage infrastructure for Reddit.
- Design, write, and deliver software to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of Reddit’s products in Go and sometimes Python.
- Contribute feedback to the technical and strategic direction of the Storage infrastructure
Who You Might Be:
- 3+ years of experience developing internet-scale software, preferably in infrastructure roles.
- Software development experience in one or more general purpose programming languages; Golang, Python, Java, C++
- Prior experience with Storage technologies is a plus (Redis, Memcache, Cassandra, Postgres, MySQL, Zookeeper).
- Prior experience with operating a large scale critical infrastructure system with a focus on automation and workflow development is a plus, especially in a role where they were required to be oncall.
- Excellent communication skills to collaborate with a service-oriented team and company.
- Comprehensive Health benefits
- 401k Matching
- Workspace benefits for your home office
- Personal & Professional development funds
- Family Planning Support
- Flexible Vacation (please use them!) & Reddit Global Days Off
- 4+ months paid Parental Leave
- Paid Volunteer time off
This job posting may span more than one career level.
In addition to base salary, this job is eligible to receive equity in the form of restricted stock units, and depending on the position offered, it may also be eligible to receive a commission. Additionally, Reddit offers a wide range of benefits to U.S.-based employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) program with employer match, generous time off for vacation, and parental leave. To learn more, please visit https://www.redditinc.com/careers/.
To provide greater transparency to candidates, we share base pay ranges for all US-based job postings regardless of state. We set standard base pay ranges for all roles based on function, level, and country location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including, skills, depth of work experience and relevant licenses/credentials, and may vary from the amounts listed below.
The base pay range for this position is: $183,000 - $275,000.
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at ApplicationAssistance@Reddit.com.