Reddit is a community of communities where people can dive into anything through experiences built around their interests, hobbies, and passions. Our mission is to bring community, belonging, and empowerment to everyone in the world. Reddit users submit, vote, and comment on content, stories, and discussions about the topics they care about the most. From pets to parenting, there’s a community for everybody on Reddit and with over 50 million daily active users, it is home to the most open and authentic conversations on the internet. For more information, visit redditinc.com.
Do you want to design and build the systems that enable Reddit to operate at a global scale?
Making Reddit available to, and work reliably for, all users globally is a crucial aspect of Reddit’s mission to bring community and belonging to everyone in the world. Reddit’s Infrastructure org is working to achieve this by building and delivering the storage and data systems, compute orchestration environment, and essential platform services behind all of Reddit.
We’re the Data Processing & Workflow Foundations team and we empower engineering teams at Reddit to build scalable, decoupled services and applications using asynchronous messaging and workflow orchestration by defining recommended design patterns, building and maintaining centralized infrastructure, creating frameworks and tooling, contributing to open-source projects we use, and providing integration support to help with adoption.
We’re looking for an experienced backend engineer to join our team to design and build Reddit’s messaging infrastructure and platform. This is a high impact role where you will contribute to design, implementation, and operations for one of the largest sites in the world.
Join us and help build the future of Reddit!
How you’ll Have Impact:
- Design, implement and maintain the systems that enable Reddit to operate at internet scale
- Design and build the frameworks and tooling to build messaging applications with a best-in-class developer experience
- Enable and support teams across all of Reddit to build real-time, streaming and batch processing applications
- Reddit is build your own adventure: You will be encouraged to identify opportunities for and affect positive change anywhere in the company
What You’ll Learn:
- How Reddit works on the inside
- How to design, build and maintain systems that operate reliably at a global scale
- How to design and build developer tooling for a high-quality development experience
- How to partner with a range of cross-functional teams to roll out technical programs
- How to build large-scale distributed systems, real-time stream and batch processing platforms
What You’ll Do:
- Own and execute backend and infrastructure projects
- Design, implement, test, productionize and maintain
- backend services,
- batch and stream processing infrastructure,
- batch and stream platforms,
- standardized patterns, libraries, frameworks and tooling for building streaming, batch processing and other applications
- Support building a healthy engineering culture and uphold code quality, testing and best practices
- Partner with other world-class engineers, product, data, and other cross-functional partners to roll out our centralized messaging infrastructure across all of Reddit and to identify and implement state-of-the-art solutions to challenging problems
- Provide technical leadership in domain areas
- Contribute to company-wide forums, initiatives and open-source projects
You will be encouraged and have the autonomy to propose and execute on your own projects and initiatives.
What You Can Expect:
- Competitive salary (irrespective of whether you choose to work remotely or from an office or both)
- Substantial benefits package (including a workspace benefit for equipping your home and/or office workspace)
- Access to training programs and opportunities for personal and professional development
- Option to work from home or from one of our office locations (if desired)
- Access to our worldwide community of Snoos and the opportunity to work for a fast-growing and internationally expanding business
- You will be treated respectfully and have both autonomy in choosing what to work on and how while also having access to any support you need
Who You Might Be:
- 5+ years of experience developing internet-scale software, preferably in infrastructure roles
- Experience working with and preferably provisioning, operating and maintaining stream processing, batch processing and/or workflow systems such as Apache Kafka, Apache Flink, Apache Spark, Apache Airflow and/or Temporal.io
- Software development experience in one or more general purpose programming languages, such as Go, Python, Java, Scala, Rust, or C++
- Preferably experience contributing to open-source projects
- Excellent collaborative, communication and documentation skills
- Pension Scheme
- Private Medical and Dental Scheme
- Life Assurance, Income Protection
- Workspace benefit for your home office
- Personal & Professional development funds
- Family Planning Support
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Flexible Vacation & Reddit Global Days Off
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at ApplicationAssistance@Reddit.com.