In case you haven’t heard, non-fungible tokens (NFTs) are the newest, most explosive movement in the world of crypto. With the power of blockchain, it is now possible to truly own digital assets on the internet in a way that wasn’t possible before. Even though excitement over NFTs is only just beginning, sales have already hit $2.5B this year and it can be a bit difficult to explain why.
For many, it’s a way to support their favorite artists, and for others it’s a way to curate impressive collections of ultra-rare collectibles. Just as cryptocurrencies are set to revolutionize the world of economics and finance, NFTs are going to rewrite how we think about digital goods. So while NFTs are currently dominated by digital artwork, NFTs can be minted to represent ownership in any item at all. Beyond visual art, there are already NFTs for music, videos, articles, and even memes. Many believe that NFTs will become the standard for items in online games, as well as items in the eventual metaverse.
For Reddit, it will always be about community. As the “frontpage of the Internet”, Reddit brings over 430 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities. If there is one thing we’ve noticed with NFTs, they too have an incredible power to create a sense of participation and belonging. With every new NFT project, a vibrant community of owners pops up with it. Fans of today’s biggest creators and brands are now flocking to buy digital goods directly from them -- to support them, to gain exclusive access, and to feel a greater sense of connection with them. Over time, we believe this will only grow, and NFTs will play a central role in how fans support their favorite creators and communities.
Our team is a new and exciting, rapidly growing team that aims to build the largest creator economy on the internet, powered by independent creators, digital goods, and NFTs. We are looking for strong engineers and leaders to help us seed the team, set its strategy, and build for the future. If you ask us, the NFT movement has only just begun, so come and join our team to get started.
On the team, you will:
- Design, build and ship backend services for millions of users to create, buy, sell and use NFT-backed digital goods.
- Move fast while balancing quality. We can’t afford extensive processes, and we also can’t afford show-stopping bugs. We need people who can balance speed with quality while quickly building brand-new products.
- Contribute meaningfully to team strategy. We give everyone a seat at the table and encourage active participation in planning for the future. Don’t just come along for the ride.
- Communicate effectively, within the team and across disciplines. Work closely with product managers and designers to craft compelling user experiences.
- 5+ years backend development experience with multiple parts of the backend stack, from databases to networking to efficient computing. We develop with Go, Python, Postgres, Redis, Thrift, GraphQL and deploy to Docker/k8s on AWS.
- Ability to design and implement complex distributed systems operating under high load. Experience developing customer-facing public applications is preferred.
- Entrepreneurial spirit. On our team, everyone needs to act like a startup CEO. You must be self-directed, innovative, and biased towards action in fast-paced environments. You live to build new things and thrive in ambiguity and even failure.
- Excellent communication skills. You must be able to collaborate effectively with teams in a fully-remote environment, and discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience with crypto / NFTs / Go is not required! All of us learned along the way, and so can you.
Reddit is continuing to grow our teams with the best talent. We're completely remote friendly and will continue to be after the pandemic. Apply today to learn more!
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at ApplicationAssistance@Reddit.com.