Do you want to join the fully automated real-time fight against evil?
Creating a safe experience for all users is a crucial aspect of Reddit’s mission to bring community and belonging to everyone in the world. The Anti-Evil organisation empowers Redditors to define and enforce safety standards for their communities and personal experiences.
We’re the real-time safety applications team within Anti-Evil and we keep Redditors safe by automating the detection and actioning of harmful user behaviour and content in real-time.
We’re looking for an experienced backend engineer to join our team and help us design and build internet scale distributed systems, stream and batch processing platforms and safety applications to analyse content and user behaviour, detect violations and take action at scale and in real-time.
Join us and help build the future of Reddit!
How you’ll Have Impact:
- Build the systems that keep millions of users safe every day
- Design and build out industry-leading applications for abuse prevention at internet scale
- Enable teams within Safety and across all of Reddit to build real-time applications and safe user experiences
- Reddit is build your own adventure: You will be encouraged to identify opportunities for and affect positive change anywhere in the company.
What You’ll Learn:
- How Reddit works on the inside
- How to fight the evils on the internet at scale
- How to partner with a range of cross-functional teams to build real-time applications, safety integrations and to roll out technical programs
- How to build large-scale distributed systems, real-time stream and batch processing platforms
- How to design, build, test and productionise a variety of models and analysis models, policy-as-code frameworks and audit tools
What You’ll Do:
- Own and execute backend projects
- Design, implement, test, productionise and maintain
- backend services,
- batch and stream processing platforms,
- real-time safety applications
- Support building a healthy engineering culture and uphold code quality, testing and best practices
- Partner with other world-class engineers, product, data science, enforcement, threat analyst and cross-functional other teams to identify and implement state-of-the-art solutions to challenging problems
- Provide technical leadership in domain areas
- Contribute to company-wide forums, initiatives and open-source projects
You will be encouraged and have the autonomy to propose and execute on your own projects and initiatives.
Who You Might Be:
- 5+ years of experience building clean, maintainable, and well-tested code.
- Experience with Python or another server-side scripting language
- Experience with batch processing, stream processing and workflow technologies such as Apache Flink, Apache Spark, Apache Kafka and Apache Airflow
- Preferably experience designing and implementing distributed systems
- Experience with databases like PostgreSQL and similar systems
- Excellent collaborative, communication, and documentation skills
- Able to work effectively under schedule pressure to fix defects, review code, design, write, test new code, and diagnose production issues
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at ApplicationAssistance@Reddit.com.