"The front page of the internet,” Reddit brings over 330 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities. Come for the cats, stay for the empathy.
Privacy is part of the Reddit DNA and we are dedicated to ensuring that our platforms, services and products are built with privacy as a core principle. We hold the privacy of our users as core to our mission at Reddit and this role will support the evolution of our privacy program and cybersecurity assurance practices with a focus on practical and data-driven decisions that enable us to support our business.
Bring your background and passion for data privacy and cybersecurity to this role which will support expansion and internationalization of our privacy program. You will bring a strategic perspective to designing the best program for the Reddit community, as well as an execution mindset that can translate our priorities into roadmaps and work with a broad set of stakeholders to achieve our objectives.
Culture is important to us and a learning and developing mentality is vital regardless of the work assigned.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
The Director of Privacy & Assurance is responsible for building-out and scaling-up Reddit's privacy and assurance functions. Reporting directly into Reddit’s CISO and VP of Trust, this leader will work collaboratively with Legal, Engineering, Security and IT organizations to ensure that we have clear frameworks for assessing, documenting, and driving forward progress on our privacy, data protection, and cybersecurity compliance programs.
- Privacy Architecture/Design: Work cross-functionally to clarify and define priorities for our user/site/company privacy features, transparency work, and ongoing program. (Feature work will be executed by a dedicated partner engineering team).
- Data Governance: Design and drive cross-functional collaboration on our data governance program, which will include KPI/KRI definition, assessment strategy, internal communications and training, and ongoing program management.
- Privacy Office: Own ongoing operations/processes for the data privacy team, including conducting due diligence on 3rd party service providers, responding to customer-initiated compliance requests, providing input into privacy assessments, and developing routine reports on privacy team KPIs/KRIs.
- Assurance: Manage cybersecurity-related governance and compliance efforts (includes cybersecurity, privacy, data management, and IT) across both corporate and production systems. Drive expansion and refinement of relevant principles/policies, define goals and targets, conduct regular gap assessments, drive needed changes to close gaps, articulate compliance and defensive posture, and provide regular reports back into executive management.
Qualities & Experience:
- A track record of successful partnerships with internal stakeholders to convert privacy and cybersecurity principles and obligations into technical requirements, drive to consensus on expected outcomes, and deliver results on complex, cross-functional initiatives
- Direct experience scoping and executing on risk assessments/audits against cybersecurity and privacy principles and tenets. (e.g., CIS CSC, NIST SP 800-53, Cybersecurity Framework, etc.), including relevant regulations like GDPR and the California Consumer Privacy Act
- Humble expert with a sense of urgency
- Experience building and managing high-performance teams
- Strategic mindset paired with the ability to roll-up your sleeves and do the heavy lifting
- Skilled at taking complex topics and making them simple
- Transparent judgment and stands behind their decisions, right or wrong
- Team focus with an ability to work in a matrixed organization
What You Can Expect From Us:
Competitive Healthcare Benefits Package
Quarterly Dependent Care or Pet Care Stipend
Family Expansion Benefits
4 Months Parental Leave with Flexible Return-To-Work Programming
Professional & Personal Development Stipends
Unlimited Vacation, Annual Travel Stipend, and 10 Paid Holidays
Onsite Wellness Classes and Wellness Stipend
401k Plan with Employer Contributions
Monthly Commuter Stipend
Monthly Cell Phone Allowance
Paid Volunteer Days, plus Reddit For Good Volunteer Opportunities