Reddit is continuing to grow our teams with the best talent. We're completely remote friendly and will continue to be after the pandemic.
"The front page of the internet," Reddit brings over 430 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities.
Reddit is poised to rapidly innovate and grow like no other time in its history. Videos on Reddit have seen exponential growth and the Video Foundation team has a huge responsibility to build a solid platform to enable building engaging experiences. This role will encompass ownership of building the end to end platform, including client side implementation and backend API development, focused on quality and performance.
Reddit is looking for a Full-Stack engineer capable of building architectural pieces of our Video Player as well as creating and integrating with the backend APIs. Having experience in HLS, DASH, FFMPEG, video streaming, etc. is a bonus. You will work closely with Product Managers, Designers, UI/UX engineers and other Video experts to deliver best in class video platform that will advance Reddit’s video expansion efforts to bring community and belonging to everyone on the planet.
This is a high impact role where you will be involved in technical & product strategy, operations, architecture, and execution for one of the largest sites in the world.
- Languages: Objective-C, Swift, Python, Go
- Libraries: Baseplate, GraphQL
- Databases: Postgres, Cassandra, Memcached, Redis
- Tools: Kubernetes
- Design and implement a modularized and scalable iOS video player
- Full-stack iOS video platform development focused on making our foundation solid
- Work on improving the quality and performance of video playback experience
- Work with product managers and other feature focused engineering teams to come up with foundational pieces of video creation and consumption experience
- Define and implement metrics that will help in measuring video performance and quality
- Champion and drive engineering processes and best practices
- Write efficient, scalable and maintainable code that will help us iterate quickly and safely
- At least 4+ years of experience as a software engineer developing user-facing IOS mobile native applications at scale, using Swift/ Objective-C.
- Software development experience in one or more general-purpose programming languages; Java, Python, Go, Rust, C++.
- Strong organizational skills, the ability to prioritize tasks and keep projects on schedule.
- BS degree in Computer Science, a similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience
- Experience designing and implementing performant, stable, and maintainable API interfaces
- Familiar with software engineering best practices such as unit testing and code reviews, design, and documentation
- Entrepreneurial spirit. You are self-directed, innovative, and biased towards action in fast-paced environments. You love to build new things and thrive in ambiguity and even failure
- Excellent communication skills. You collaborate effectively with teams in a fully remote environment and discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical audiences
Good to have:
- Additional knowledge around GraphQL, REST, HTTP basics, and the ability to design maintainable APIs is a plus
- Having deep experience with video player implementation, video analytics and streaming video (HLS, DASH, FFMPEG) is a plus