“The front page of the internet," Reddit brings over 430 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities. Come for the cats, stay for the empathy.
Generating billions of events and terabytes of data a day, we’re in the unique position to revolutionize content discovery on the internet. We are overhauling Reddit’s search and relevancy infrastructure as we unleash the value of an exponentially growing petabyte-scale dataset.
You'd leverage state of the art technology to lead this effort from the ground level, empowering our extremely diverse user-base to find the communities and content that make them feel at home, while delivering highly personalized experiences.
- Help lead and develop a long-term strategy for search at Reddit.
- Architect and implement the search infrastructure.
- Analyze Reddit’s query stream to deliver customized search experiences for trending topics.
- Experiment, improve, and optimize search results to empower Reddit’s users.
- Dig into how Reddit’s customer behavior is unique and go beyond generic relevance algorithms.
- Work closely with partner teams to help drive search as a platform and power products across the engineering organization
- Identify and surface the best discussions and content across some of the Internet’s largest communities
- Participate in the full development cycle: design, develop, qa, experiment, analyze, and deploy.
- Collaborate across disciplines to find technical solutions to complex challenges.
- 10+ years of experience as a Search, Data, or Software Engineer developing production code.
- Very strong understanding of search and relevance techniques
- Extensive experience with Solr or similar technologies
- Experience with large-scale search infrastructure.
- Experience with setting up, maintaining, and debugging production systems and infrastructure.
- Results-oriented with a strong customer and business focus.
- Entrepreneurial and self-directed, innovative, biased towards action in fast-paced environments.
- Able to communicate and discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Able to tackle ambiguous and undefined problems.
- Willingness to help teach and develop others, in both engineering and other roles