The front page of the internet," Reddit brings over 430 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities. Come for the cats, stay for the empathy.
The Economy and Special Projects teams at Reddit are among the most innovative, forward-looking teams at Reddit. Together we’re trying to build an Internet of free, independent communities that are powered by a fun, collaborative economy. Our goal is to find new monetization models that restore the balance of power online, putting it back in the hands of the people. Though quite difficult, we believe it’s one of the most important projects to help keep the Internet free.
Building this future requires a careful balance of engineering, product, design, and business. It’s a matter of building the right user experience, and that’s where you come in. We’re looking for a world-class frontend engineering manager who can work at the intersection of these problems and lead the team to build our vision.
What you’ll do
- Lead a rapidly growing team of frontend engineers by hiring, mentoring, and inspiring. Our team has been doubling annually for two years and we have the head count to keep it up. We need to find great engineers, keep them motivated, and help them reach their full potential.
- Work cross-functionally with product, design, and other engineering managers to plan product and business strategy, and to build novel products and features that our half-billion users will love.
- Participate in the full development cycle: design, development, QA, experimentation, analysis, and launch. You’ll be reviewing code, writing design docs, giving feedback on product specs and mocks, and generally helping out wherever is needed.
What we’re looking for
- 2+ years building and managing high performing engineering teams.
- 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer developing user-facing web applications at scale, using TypeScript, React and Redux.
- Strong focus on user experience and usability. You are an undying advocate for the user, and you have a deep intuition for how people think and how they interact with software. Experience with social or e-commerce is a huge plus. It’s wild out here.
- Entrepreneurial spirit. On our team, everyone needs to act like a startup CEO. You must be self-directed, innovative, and biased towards action in fast-paced environments. You live to build new things and thrive in ambiguity and even failure.
- Excellent communication skills. You must be able to collaborate effectively with teams in a fully remote environment, and discuss complex topics with technical and non-technical audiences.